Skip to content
Books? on Hendrix, ...

Notifications
Clear all

Books? on Hendrix, Page, Zeppelin, classical, flemenco..

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mr-greenjeans)
Topic starter  

Hi~ I'm looking for a few good song books or DVDs for learning songs or the technique of Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page. Does any have any or know of some you could recommend?

Perhaps a good Zeppelin transcription book?

I few interests for learning songs at the moment. I want to eventually create my own arrangements and I'm constantly experimenting with different sounds. I'm heading in a bit of a ethereal direction.

Changing the thought for a moment, I recently heard an interview with Leo Kotke and in between the questions he played a few songs. He was pretty amazing. What I'm kind of getting at is, I would be interested in finding a book that has songs with intricate though with moderate difficulty in the arrangement. So I'm also looking for a book with classically arranged fingerstyle or flamenco songs... perhaps even moderate difficult jazz fingerstlye arranged songs.

I know this is a lot of in at once~ please indulge me.

Thanks.

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I have the Hendrix "Smash Hits" tab book. Its pretty accurate. Too bad Hendrix made it look so easy! Most of his songs are really hard for me to play.

One Hendrix approach is to play major / minor chords and add in melodies with the corresponding major / minor scale. Start to slide and hammer on these little fills, and you have the basis for a lot of his rythm playing. It helps if you use your thumb with bar chords so you can use your other fingers for the fills.

There is also a lesson on Fender's players club web site about this style of playing.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote