Clear all

Bought my second guitar today

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I went by a local music store today on my way home, just to have a look around really. Asked to try some entry-level acoustics, just for the heck of it, since I started on an electric, but got to play an acoustic at a friends place a bit, and, well...you know, GAS and all that. :P

Well, they only had one guitar in stock in my price range, a Washburn D10S. I played it for about 45 mins in a quiet corner and just fell in love with it. I've only been paying for about 5 months, but I'm convinced that this really is a good guitar for the price. Great tone and playability (in my limited experience at least), and a quality og finish that certainly surprised me. Setup seems to be spot on, tho the action feels a bit high, but I suppose that's to be expected coming from an electric. (I did check it according to Nils' site and it seems to be within the correct range.)

Luckily I got money back off my tax return this year, so I could afford a bit of GAS. :P

All I want is food and creative love.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you have a good low end guitar. nothng wrong wiith Wasburn.
from the solid spruce top, mahogany back an sides and Grover style tuners
it looks like it has all the good stuff.

how are the fret ends. rough or smooth?
how is the tone? I imagine it is pretty nice considering the woods and the guitar being full sized.
congrads on GAS fullfillment.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The fret ends are smooth. The tone is very pure and warm to my ears, and it's easy to hear the individual notes in chords. Also they ring out very clearly.

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I own that very guitar and I love it. I play with a couple friends who all have much more expensive rigs then mine. I'll tell you what, the difference is very small in them. The washburn is an awesome buy for the cash.

Good choice, may it serve you well.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've played a Washburn for several years now. I can't find a thing wrong with it! I'll probably still have it years from now, too! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

Your first acoustic will always be your "Baby".

My first was a Yamaha APX-7A, I now have a Taylor 510CE-LTD and Taylor 412CE... But I still play the Yamaha constantly :)

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You bought your second guitar today? I thought I was bad.

I've only ever bought one in any 24 hour period.

I play some high end guitars, but I still play a Washburn Golden Harvest on occasion.

The D22S is a great guitar too.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

You bought your second guitar today? I thought I was bad.

I've only ever bought one in any 24 hour period.

I play some high end guitars, but I still play a Washburn Golden Harvest on occasion.

The D22S is a great guitar too.

I only bought one that day. But it's the second guitar I've ever bought. Haven't bought any since either. :)

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Congrats. That model is known as the best selling beginner guitar ever. (Don't quote me on that it might be the non-solid model marketed outside of US). I've tried out a few they play and sound nice. All the ones I've played had pretty high action. I am mentinoning this because you have as well. It might be a good idea to have it checked by a professional. It may well be within limits, but my Seagull came out of the factory with much much better action than all the D10S I played.

Also. As an aside. I see a lot of posts mentioning a tax refund as the source of the guitar money. The money one gets back is the money one OVERPAYS to the government in taxes. Essentially it's an INTEREST FREE loan you're giving the government which it pays back at the end of the tax year. Just about the worst kind of investment one can make. Ideally if you're getting a refund every year, you should consider having less taxes witheld.

oktay

ReplyQuote