Clear all

Bruised finger tip

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just thought I'd let everyone say ahhh, poor Nick.

I taught 3 hours of lessons yesterday, preceded by a mini-jam with neighbors and followed by an hour of sitting on the porch playing at dusk.

..today the tip of my index finger hurts so much I am typing with three fingers of my left hand.

Anyone else ever bruised a finger tip?

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Man, Nick, you seem to lead a tough life. 8) Hard on the fingers. I recall bruising my fingertips when I was first learning to tap, but not since then.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

No, but my callosuses don't work! Everytime I get a callose it breaks the next time I play! BTW thats gotta suck. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

Poor Nick!

But here people care! I've got a broken nail, and wrote about that, and people have been so nice to me (I think I'm going to brake another one soon)!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear about your finger.
Maybe you can soak it in urine. Wait a minute, that was another thread I was reading, never mind.
Hope it heals quickly.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

aaaah, Poor Nick :cry:

And the answer is yes. A couple of weeks ago I played so much that my middle finger was sore for about two or three days. I have pretty good, hard as a rock, calluses and it felt like it hurt underneath.

I iced it a little each day for two days and it went away.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That is exactly the feeling. I'm going to break out the ice.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've had that happen too... I don't think it's a bruise, but more like a blister underneath the callous when I've played a lot. I find it has a bit more 'bite' to it than a bruise would.

I've got an interesting injury myself, one I've not had before. Spring break a lot of students take off, so I had a light schedule the past two weeks, and we decided to remodel a bathroom and the laundry room. Over the course of the whole thing (ripping out four walls, installing new ductwork and electric, ceramic tiling, etc.) I managed to sprain one finger on each hand - the index on the fretting hand, the ring on the right.

They hurt like sprains do almost all the time... except when I practice! I do some scales and I'm good to go - almost like it's oiling 'em up. It takes me about an extra 10 minutes to do my warmups, because my precision is off a bit (especially for classical - the sprained ring finger is coming in late) but once I'm warmed up, they don't hurt again until I stop playing!

Amazing how making music does that - I don't know if it releases endorphins or what - I think there was a thread on that recently - but I've been practicing about 3 hours a day, and last night rehearsed some stuff for an upcoming gig for another 3 hours - not a twinge during that time, just that constant ache when I'm not playing.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Noteboat,

I'm not a doctor but, it seems like you might have strained some muscles that you might not normally use? Maybe thats why it isn't effecting your guitar playing?

Nick,

I had that happen a couple of weeks ago after my cousin came over and we jammed for over 8 hours. The good news is (for me anyway) it went away quickly.

Happy recovering!

P.S. I would imagine the ice would only make the callous harder. Is that a good idea to do that? I wouldn't think it would but then again, I've been wrong before.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's almost gone now.

It wasn't the callous, it was under. It felt like I bruised the bone.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I've had that briused to the bone feeling in one of my fingers once. It kills, but luckily it goes away quickly too.
The one thing that I really hate, though, is when you get a cut under the fingernail of a fretting finger. When you do a big bend, it absolutely kills.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I once read that SRV played till his callouses came loose and then he would crazy glue them back on and keep on playing--what a man!! :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

Oh, forgot- sorry nick :cry: :cry: hope it feels beter soon :P --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

Sorry to hear of you!
I had that ache (or some similar one) when I first played chords and tried to master the A chord and I pressed so hard that I thought I broke my fingers...
stupid me!
It went away after a few days of pause and rethinking my bad technique!

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@ciaran)
Eminent Member

Never bruised a fingertip, but I sliced straight across one with a breadknife recently, which made for a week or two of painful playing. I suppose it would have healed quicker if I'd let it rest, but you know how it is. :)

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

The last time my fingers felt that way was after last years Riverside Jam. I don't think I've played that much since!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2