Clear all

Buying guitar from sweetwater or at my local GC

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've jsut been considering the possibilities of how I'm going to buy a new guitar when December rolls around, and I'm wondering should I order it from the Sweetater people or ask my local GC to order one, and let me test it out.

If I get it from sweetwater, I am considering this because they do a rigorous 40 point test on all guitars they sell and from what I've heard, they are excellent guitar dealers. I might buy the guitar from there becuase I know that it will have been inspected thoroughly beforehand by them. I know that it won't be the same as actually trying out the guitar, but I will have a peace of mind, the guitar's being taken care of better then at MF. Plus, I can always return it to Sweetwater, and order a different one if it's got something wrong with it.

I also have the option of asking my local GC to order one for me. They told me they could do that, so it doesn't seem to be a problem. This would be better in the sense oft rying it out because I have the finished product in front of me to test it to my standards. I'm a little unsure about doing this because there are always duds in guitar manufacturing and if they order one for me, and I try it out and it's not very good or flawed in some way, then I'm without a new guitar. So, do I keep asking my GC to order the guitar for me until I find a good one?

Just wondering what you guys think of this or what you would say.
Thanks alot

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ahhhh, who knows. I'm too cynical to answer. It's a perk when you get older. Sorry.

I do find it hard to imagine that the axe you want could not be found in the city somewhere.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hmmm, this is a tough one. If it was your local Mom&Pop store, I might lean toward the store, as it's good to build a relationship with your local guitar shop.

You didn't mention which way was cheaper, so I assume they are pretty close.

If your GC has been good to you, and their techs seem competent and helpful, then get it at GC. Otherwise, Sweatwater is one of the better mail-order services, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Is that vague enough?

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Also depends on the guitar you will be buying. Anything Fender or Gibson? I would always play it and examine it before buying. Ibanez? I'd risk a mail order. What are you considering?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I hear where gnease is coming from. If it is an inexpensive guitar no big deal ordering online. I have done a few myself with good luck. If it is a more expensive I would prefer to go locally and have someone to deal with face to face if there is a problem.

However, even on the expensive ones if you don't mind sending it back if you are not happy and are willing to plan on having a setup done locally then you can get a better deal online. All of them have pretty good return policies. By the way, GC prices pretty much match online prices since they own MusiciansFriend and compete with Music123 and other online suppliers. Ah but at GC you then pay tax.

The bottom line though is there is nothing better than first having hands on with the one you buy.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I say ask them to order one for you at GC now, and then play it as soon as it gets in. If you like it, buy it in december (you may have to put down a little cash for them to hold it), if you don't like it, order one from sweetwater.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I would suggest playing the guitar before you buy it, especially if it's fairly expensive. You'd hate to get it, and then find out you don't like something about it.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I hear where gnease is coming from. If it is an inexpensive guitar no big deal ordering online. I have done a few myself with good luck. If it is a more expensive I would prefer to go locally and have someone to deal with face to face if there is a problem.

Not all Ibanez guitars are inexpensive, but the quality is consistently top notch from entry to pro level. Not true of Fender or Gibby at almost any level, unless one is dealing with custom shop models. Fender, being very adjustable can usually be tweaked to good form. Gibsons? Sadly, there are duds all the way up and down the price range -- lots of cosmetic issues.

If I knew what I liked, I'd have little problem mail ordering PRS -- either US or SE series via mail. Only thing is that with PRS, the pricier figured tops and inlays are somewhat unique -- might wish to choose one that special one that catches one's eye.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I see what all you guys are saying.

For those of you who asked, the guitar is an Epiphone 335 Dot that goes for about $449. at GC and sweetwater. Im waiting till december for the price to drop to $399.99 When you don't have a job, those $50 make a huge difference.

I played the same model at my local GC and I liked the guitar alot. I know that the one ordered for me won't be exactly like the one I played, but it is basically the same.

I guess from this, the best thing to do is to ask the GC people to order one, and if I don't like that one, I'll go with sweetwater because as nils, gnease, and dntalb pointed out, there is nothing better than playing the guitar firsthand.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would be surprised if GC doesn't have more than one of those in stock -- it's not an unusual guitar. If they do have more than one, play them all; examine them all, as there will be differences, and you should not be shy about asking them to pull them out of stock to get the best. Again, do not be intimidated or shy or believe the salesperson if (s)he says they are all the same -- they very likely are not.

This is the source of your power as a buyer: Ask for what you want, and be prepared to walk away if they can't get close enough to giving it to you for the price you are willing to pay.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Gnease is entirely right. The absolute worst thing that can happen is that you let a salesperson jerk you around. If you sense that it's happening, go somewhere else. You're in the NY metro area.

Oh, and while on the $$ topic, the GC here almost never has anything below their "regular" price. Big Sales simply means the price tag is decorated. The junk you see on the tag, reg $699, now $449..... it's just bull-dookie. I will almost bet that you will be able to get that $399 price anytime you want. Do not be afraid to ask. Do not be afraid to walk. You are in command.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks you guys.

The GC I'm talking about is the one in manhattan near union square. They do have the Dot in stock, but I want one in cherry red, and they only have one in ebony. I just don't want it to seem like I made them order a guitar for you, and it turns out it's not the correct one or whatever. Then again, thank you for the point that I am the customer and they have to satisy me to make me purchase from them.

ReplyQuote