Clear all

Bye Bye Callouse

26 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I played for about 2 hours, then took a shower and suddendly found that a big part of my callouse on my ring finger was wearing off!
I absolutely have NO IDEA to WHY this happens now because I played really steady the last few weeks and didn't have this problem for a long time.
It will take a few months again to have a good working callouse again because I know for sure that all I will get are just hard platet skin fragments which wear off every few days.
:cry:

just wanted to vent a bit! now I'm off for my family-pizza, I need to compensate

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

i'm so sorry on your behaves :cry:

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My calluses peel off regularly. It is like I am shedding.
Funny thing is, the skin underneath is not tender and it doesn't seem to bother my playing at all.
Guess you got to roll with it.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^I'm the same as missileman, it just sheds off.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

^I'm the same as missileman, it just sheds off.

It probably has more3 to do with shredding than sheding. They grow back.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Couple of things that help with this:

1) regularly clean your guitar strings
2) regularly moisturize your hands, particularly your finger tips.

I have the best luck wtih Gold Bond Ultimate but any quality moisturizer should work as well.

it does make a difference for me.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I just peeled off two callouses today. It happens almost every two months for me.

It took about six - eight months to build up my callouses to be the way they are now, but I have to play at least 15 minutes a day to keep it up.

Pretty soon you'll not notice it anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Hmm, never had a callous peel/wear off, guess I'm lucky.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Kingpatzer, isn't it bad to put on hand lotion?
I read somewhere that a secret recpeit would be to dip your fingers into some salt-water thingie to get them dried out so that callus can develop faster.
-> makes some sense

on the other hand you should moistorize your hands to keep them healthy so that no skin can peel off
-> makes sense

but somehow it's like an oxymoron... :oops:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

this is a weird trick - read somewhere that Flea, bassist for the Chili Peppers, puts a small coat of superglue on his fretting fingertips before shows to act as an extra callus.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

What about using "Liquid Skin" ?
:?:

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

My callouses peel every once in awhile. The worst is when they are partially peeled and get caught on the strings! The shower probably didn't help - water always helps your callouses peel faster. Another reason why I hate doing dishes, it can really kill my callouses! Just so no one gets any funny ideas, please continue to shower.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Don't think I've ever had a callouse flake off....and mine are so well - developed I think I could use them instead of fine sandpaper to rub paintwork down....

Using moisturiser sounds like a no-no....why soften them up?

Then again I haven't been able to lay my hands on a guitar all week... they're in the box room where everything's been dumped, we've had builders in, now we've got decorators....who won't be back till tuesday, it's a bank holiday over here....so I may have to look into the superglue trick......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Kingpatzer, isn't it bad to put on hand lotion?
I read somewhere that a secret recpeit would be to dip your fingers into some salt-water thingie to get them dried out so that callus can develop faster.
-> makes some sense

on the other hand you should moistorize your hands to keep them healthy so that no skin can peel off
-> makes sense

but somehow it's like an oxymoron... :oops:

All i know is that my callouses used to peel off all the time until I started using moisturizer, now if they peel once a year it's an odd thing.

I also know that a callouse is a thickennig of the skin in response to repeated preassure on the skin. Moisturizer has NOTHING to do with that. All the moisturizer does is help keep that thick skin healthy.

My callouses are as hard as ever, they just stay put now instead of falling off every month or two.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

I must admit I don't understand this callouse thing. Actually I regularly file mine down, because I don't think they make me play better and they make my fingertips less sensitive. And they're ugly. Anyone else that feels like me?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2