Changing Humbuckers....

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I want to tap into the wisdom of this site. Will different humbuckers like the Stewart-Macdonald Vintage Gold humbuckers make a difference in the sound in a cheaper guitar? The guitar itself is very nice and plays well. But I think the sound can be improved with better pickups. I would think on electric guitars the pickups have the biggest influence on the sound of the guitar. The guitar I want to replace the pickups is in a semi-hollow, will not reveal the name brand to avoid embarrasement :oops: .
any input would be appreciated.

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Don't worry about embarrasment. I have several cheaper guitars, that I basically bought for the sole purpose of upgrading. I have an SX Strat copy I plan on changing the neck, electronics, and pickups. Just don't have the money right now. I also have a cheap Silvertone Bass I would like to change the Pickups and Bridge.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Do you really not like the sound of it ? or are you just after something that sounds different ?

I chucked in a Seymour Duncan JB4 on my cheap strat copy (HSS) and it made a HUGE difference to the sound.. Like you, I liked the feel of the guitar and decided it was worth keeping.

I don't have any experience with the new pickups you suggested (or semi hollows) so i don't know HOW much difference it will make by changing them, although i assume it will help, especially if the original pickups are very low quality.

btw. Who cares what the brand name is... if YOU like to play it, then its a good guitar. Anyone who tells you different is ignorant ......or trying to sell you a guitar ;)

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote