Clear all

chicago blues clubs

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have to go to Loyola University Chicago for a college visit. Does anyone know any good blues clubs on the north side that I could get into? I'm 17. Any help would be grrrrreat.

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Most Chicago blues places are bars, so you'll need to be 21 to get in.

That said, there are a lot of coffeehouses/restaurants/other venues that have blues, but not as the mainstay - some nights they'll be folk, others jazz, etc. Some of the clubs also do 'all ages' shows now and then.

Grab a copy of the Reader. It's a free paper that comes out every Thursday afternoon, and it has extensive music listings by genre. Most of the time they have phone numbers too, so you can call and ask.

Every month the Illinois Entertainer comes out. That's got a more rock/indie focus (the Reader covers everything, from Albanian folk singers to hardcore punk)... but the promoter's ads sometimes list blues, and sometimes all ages shows.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Man, I sure do miss the Reader out here in NJ.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

If you happen to be in the area, go to service at the Triple Rock Baptist church and check out Reverend Cleophus. ;)

(just kidding, but if James Brown actually gave sermons, I think that'd make me a churchgoer overnight)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Places that serve just alcohol you need to have our parents, others will depend on the establishment.

CenterStage

Chicago Reader

Joe's Corner

Walked up carrying a guitar with character and a old tube amp looking like you play the blues. There's no beginning or no end when it comes to playing blues. Polish up on your licks, rhythm chops, tricks, techniques and blues "guitabulary".

It all adds up and is your ticket.

Joe

ReplyQuote