Clear all

Classical Guitar Playing Position

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@berridgeab)
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I have been playing the classical guitar for about a year now, simply teaching myself from Tab. Im a left-handed person but I'll play the guitar right-handed (My opinon its not what hand your best with, but the way you first choose to play the instrument). I know there is a certain playing position for the Classical guitar & I just recently got a book on the complete beginners classical guitar to learn how to read music & to use the correct playing position.

However, after studying the diagrams & sitting in that position, it causes me to have a sharp shooting pain down my left hand side & I find it extremely un-comfortable to play in. It also causes my left hand to ache after 5 mins of playing in that position. Is there any reason for this?

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Yeah, if it causes extreme pain and discomfort after 5 minutes, don't play in that position any more. You should be able to play almost totally relaxed through your entire body including arms and shoulders.

Probably the discomfort could be corrected with some minor adjustments to your posture.

edit: It might be because you are tilted over to one side without realizing it, make sure while you play you aren't hunching over to the left, and that your shoulders are relaxed and down.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

If you can, find a good classical teacher that can show you the proper way to play.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Do you have your left foot elevated by something? Like this guy?:

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

When sitting at rest without the guitar in your hands, your knees and your hips should form right angles. Your back should be reasonably straight (too straight and you won't be able to see what you're doing), and your left foot should be raised about 6-8 inches using a footstool (or a beer crate). To prevent the tempatation to lean forward so you can see the fingerboard, put a mirror in front of you and watch your hands in that.

The guitar should be on your left leg, with the headstock around shoulder height and the neck angled slightly backwards and very slightly upwards.

Keep us posted.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote