Skip to content
Cleaning the finger...

Notifications
Clear all

Cleaning the fingercheese off the fret board.

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How do you all accomplish this? I've heard a razor blade and lemon oil does the trick...never actually tried it though.

(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Um, wash your hands before playing! :)

I just use Gibson fret board cleaner and conditioner (aka lemon oil) and a little elbow grease. Not sure I'd feel comfortable putting a razor blade to my guitar. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

My strings often get dirty (because they have a polyweb coating and collect dirt). But yes, cleaning your hands will help.
I use (wait for it) Peter Stringerfellow Fretboard cleaner. It takes the dryness out etc.... (Lemon Oil) :)

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Um, wash your hands before playing! :)

I just use Gibson fret board cleaner and conditioner (aka lemon oil) and a little elbow grease. Not sure I'd feel comfortable putting a razor blade to my guitar. :)

Jason
I do, thoroughly. I also wipe down my strings after I'm done playing with a cloth...which eventually starts to look pretty disgusting.

So you just use lemon oil and grind?

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Yup. When I do a string change, I put a small drop of oil on each fret. I've got a lint free cloth that I use for the fret board and I just rub the oil in real good. I pay special attention to the fret wire edges and try to make sure I get any "gunk" next to them. If done on a regular basis, there isn't much buildup so it isn't that hard.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I use superfine steel wool (00000 grade not 0000 or 000 or 00 otherwise you'll scratch the crap out of it) and a small amount of naptha(lighter fluid). Lighter fluid is extremely flammable so be careful and follow it up with a coat of olive oil. As usual test in a small area to see if your technique is correct. Read about it here from our gutar sage Nick Fretboard cleaning 101

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If it's really caked on, you can use a plastic scraper. I've used the side of a pick when I've needed to do that.

But if you're changing strings regularly, and cleaning the fingerboard each time, all you should really need is a flannel cloth and maybe a bit of lighter fluid.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

there's really digusting n repulsive about the term "fingercheese" :oops: Or is it just me?

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

there's really digusting n repulsive about the term "fingercheese" :oops: Or is it just me?

It's not you, there definitely is. That's what I like about it.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I use toothpicks to get the gunk near the fret off followed by a dry (soft-bristle) toothbrush. After that, I do the fretboard with Dunlop lemon oil to clean it up. Rub that around. Let dry half hour. Finish it off with Mineral Oil (the kind for human consumpton. Get it at the local grocery store). Let it sit for 10 minutes. Wipe off, put new strings on. Then just polish the rest of the guitar with guitar polish. I just did all the above (plus sanded the frets lightly) for a bass last weekend and another the weekend before. Makes 'em both look great! :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote