Clear all

Cool Discovery About my Electric

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@davebf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Alright so i was playin my unplugged electric on the bus, and from what I could hear, it was out of tune. I didn't have my tuner on me to plug in, and I couldn't hear so I got frustrated.

I had the neck sort of resting on my head (holding it like a big bass cello or somethin) and I found if I put my ear up to the very back of the guitar neck, you can hear perfectly, and with some decent volume...

I don't know if every electric guitar neck is hollow as mine is to create the sound, but give it a whirl. It's kinda cool.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep, all guitar necks vibrate, and they're important tonally.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

There are some brands of electronic tuner that are intended to clamp onto the head of a guitar (like this one), which work by picking up vibrations from there.

It's always fun when you discover something new about your guitar, isn't it?
Just because you weren't the first to discover it doesn't make it any less cool.

Now you understand a bit more about how a guitar makes sound, and no one had to tell you.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@davebf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well if all it takes it a busload of loud kids to learn more about how my guitar makes sounds... then I think I'm definitely staying in school!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Personally I consider the neck more important then the body.Strap a quality neck properly onto an cheap basswood body with nice pups and you'll have a good sound.

ReplyQuote