Clear all

D/F# ??

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

While messing on my guitar I decided to try bringing the thumb of my fretting hand around and fretting the Lo E at the 2nd fret, while playing an open D chord. It sounded pretty good for an alternating bass thing, not being a wiz when it comes to theory could somebody tell me if this would be labeled as a D/F# or is it just some wierd inversion of the D?

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have no idea what it is called, but it sounds good. Just a guess D/F#?? I like that you can strum all 6 strings, which is much "fuller" than the "normal" open D.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Pink Floyd uses this as a chord on "Wish You Were Here". I agree, it sounds very nice. I honestly prefer it over the normal D-chord.

Technically, I'm not sure what it'd be called. "D with an f-sharp". How's that? ;)

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

While messing on my guitar I decided to try bringing the thumb of my fretting hand around and fretting the Lo E at the 2nd fret, while playing an open D chord. It sounded pretty good for an alternating bass thing, not being a wiz when it comes to theory could somebody tell me if this would be labeled as a D/F# or is it just some wierd inversion of the D?

Not a weird inversion - just a common first inversion. Well... common among those who often play with their thumb over the neck, but very rare among those who always keep their thumb behind the neck (That's a whole different thread).

The chord's name is still D major as you haven't added any non-chord tones. If you want to add the inversion information to the name too, then it can be called 'first inversion D major' or 'D with an F# in the bass' and written as D/F# exactly as Colorado and Kevin said.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When I was first learning guitar, I was shown the D chord thus.....

E A D G B E
x x 0 2 3 2

then someone else, noting how big my hands were, suggested I bring my thumb over the neck to fret the F# note

E A D G B E
2 0 0 2 3 2

when I mentioned that now the bass note wasn't D, I was told it didn't matter....since the D chord consists of D, F# and A, wherever you play those notes, no matter which order they are on the strings, it's a D chord.....and a thicker, fuller D chord than the first example. I've played it that way ever since.

Fretsource is perfectly correct, of course - it's usually written as D/F#, a D chord using F# as the bass note.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Chosing between D and D/F# really depends on what comes before and after. For example, by playing Em-D/F#-G you get a nice bass going up, and with Dm-F/C-Em/B you walk down.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

D/F# is also used in Highway to Hell by ACDC...just thought I would toss that in there. :)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Pearl Jam uses the D/F# to Em in the verse of Immortality. Sounds much better than the plain open D.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I almost always use the D/F# over the regular D. It just sounds fuller, and when fingerpicking you have more to work with too :D

I actually didnt realise I was doing it for a while, as I naturally put my thumb over the neck. It's only when I concentrated on playing the normal D that I noticed I was playing anything differently! :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Pearl Jam uses the D/F# to Em in the verse of Immortality. Sounds much better than the plain open D.

I love playing that song with D/F#. It's my favourite song of all time actually, and it probably would be without the F# bass note, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I found this video if you're interested, it's a cover of Immortality, by Seether. It's a lot better then I thought it was going to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwLOaCGG60

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member

Why does adding the F note allow you to playe the D with the 2 open strings inbetween?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Why does adding the F note allow you to playe the D with the 2 open strings inbetween?

I'm not sure of the exact reason, but the open D string would be played anyway, and the A string just doubles the A that is already in a D chord, so it justs sounds fuller.

I'm sure there's a more indepth reason, but when I first started messing around with inversions that was my logic.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I think :

The chord is made up of D, F#, A. So, you could play from the A string down. But, if you don't use the F# on the E string, the E note would not be part of the D major chord, so it would not be the same chord if you played the open E string.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

....the D/F# as covered here is also used in While My Guitar Gently Weeps (it's the seventh chord from the beginning, right after G )when the song is played in Am....the song also uses D9/F# ( third chord from beginning, right after Am7/G).

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote