Clear all

delay pedals

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've just gotten around to fiddling with the delay on my amp, and i've found out that it's probably one of the best effects ever, some of the rhythms and ambiant sounds i've managed to squeeze out of it are kinda crazy. I'm going to eventually invest in a delay pedal as it's a bit tricky to turn my amp's delay on and off.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for delay and if they can recommend any songs where it's used particularly well?

Cheers.

This signature is a forgery.

(@alangreen)

Anything by U2 should fit the bill, and check out Brian May's live solo to Brighton Rock - two single echos boxes making three part harmonies. Top class stuff

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Longer delays especially can help create harmonically interesting and rhythmic layering if the delay time is related to the tempo of the music. Setting the delay duration to a quarter note (very easy if your amp has a tap tempo button -- a bit more difficult if not), will cause the echos to occur in time with the piece. If one uses a strong echo mix, single note progressions will overlay (layer) themselves in some very interesting ways. This is what Alan is talking about above.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

cool. ill give it a bit more of a tinker. i've noticed as a general rule fast delays on my amp are good for creating atmospheric pieces (and of course noise). i'm not too happy with my amp delay, but it's doing the job for now.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Into to Welc ome to the Jungle has always been a great use of delay, imo.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

delay is an essential tool in my playing.
the atmospheric stuff for sure, but also a short delay for tha 'slapback' rockabilly genre.
Carl Perkins as an example.
Jimmy Page used delay in many ways.

I had an old analog delay. it died and couldnt be repaired.
I replaced it with the spendy Boss GiGa Delay. wow.
it has a reverse setting. very cool. and Im just starting to explore the tape delay.

with delay sometimes less is more. but to be honest sometimes I really like that endless repeat and layering.
delay works that creative side of me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

just thought, the intro and verse to 'how soon is now' by the smiths would be delay wouldnt it?

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I'm not familiar, but keep in mind that most guitar tracks have a smattering of delay in the mixing process, since it can help to fill things out in terms of the big sonic picture. Using it as a compositional motif, like the Edge or in that GNR track I mentioned, is different motif.

As part of a promotional thing, an Aerosmith song on one of their recent albums (I think it was the last live one, but am not sure) could be "un mixed" with that Umixit techonology. You get the song broken into individual tracks, and you can remix them like a superduper producer :D. When I soloed each track, you could here the delay on each and every instrument and vocal in varying amounts. When played all together, you had to really concentrate to hear each individual delay and sometimes you couldn't hear them at all. But, together, they create the mix that you are hearing (along with reverb, panning, and everything else, of course)

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I'm not familiar, but keep in mind that most guitar tracks have a smattering of delay in the mixing process, since it can help to fill things out in terms of the big sonic picture. Using it as a compositional motif, like the Edge or in that GNR track I mentioned, is different approach.

As part of a promotional thing, an Aerosmith song on one of their recent albums (I think it was the last live one, but am not sure) could be "un mixed" with that Umixit techonology. You get the song broken into individual tracks, and you can remix them like a superduper producer :D. When I soloed each track, you could here the delay on each and every instrument and vocal in varying amounts. When played all together, you had to really concentrate to hear each individual delay and sometimes you couldn't hear them at all. But, together, they create the mix that you are hearing (along with reverb, panning, and everything else, of course)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Don't Forget Me - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Climbing Up the Walls - Radiohead

Alot of Radiohead songs use it to create ambient background noises. It's quite easy infact to mix a compressor, a delay pedal and a distortion pedal with some luw frequency hum and just hit the odd note every now and a again.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hehe, exactly. :D A nice trick Radiohead often uses is using multiple delay units after each other. The sound kinda tumbles over itself, and if you use a MIDI expression pedal to control the EQ on the delayed sounds you can create amazing sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Booming reverb also helps.

:D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

it has a reverse setting. very cool. and Im just starting to explore the tape delay.

I have reverse delay on a Zoom multi-fx. The great thing about it is that it doesn't impose any delay on trills, and it's really great for violining

Best,

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have reverse delay on a Zoom multi-fx. The great thing about it is that it doesn't impose any delay on trills, and it's really great for violining

Best,

I was violining with reverse for the first time at the friday night jam.
OMG. very cool. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

What's violining? Haven't heard that term before...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2