Clear all

Dispelling a Myth

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Great site, and as a newbie I thought it appropriate to post something controversial(ish) to get a few people hot under the collar....

What really bugs me is when I hear people say 'ahhh Vai, yeah he was taught to play by Joe Satriani...'. While it's true that the young Vai received some tuition from Satch, I can't help but feel that this somehow elevates Mr Satriani to some godlike status that in my humble opinion is wholly undeserved. Let's not forget he also tutored Kirk Hammet, and we've been suffering those horrific wah wah solo's ever since.

Why does everyone think Satriani is such an amazing player? Ok, he is technically proficient, but then so are a bazillion other players. He's inventive, ummm sure, what did he invent exactly? Oh yeah he does that thing where he dips the whammy and pinches harmonics that sound all spaceshippy and stuff.....please.
He has some cool songs, and oh did I mention he taught Steve Vai?

The truth is he can't use a pick when playing at speed to any great length, he relies on hammer ons, he uses that whammy bar way too much, and he has this mock humility about him in interviews that I just find sickening. I think he is one of the most overrated players I have heard.

For real humility, take Dann Huff or Vinnie Moore, those guys are so modest and humble, and genuinely phenomenal players, whom to my mind would play circles round Satriani any day. I'm sure there are many of you who could name a long list of great players who barely get a mention in any guitar publication, yet are equally if not more deserving of recognition.

Yngwie Malmsteen (what's the deal with old podgy is he on steroids- answers on a postcard?) was once quoted in Total Guitar as saying Joe sounds 'quite studied and mechanical' and I have to say I agreed with the arrogant Swede. Not one of Joe's 'dirty' amp tones have ever got my juices flowing, they still sound clean and polite no matter how much the gain, what happened to good old fashioned distortion? I've never seen him play anything but an Ibanez with a 1 micrometre action, and he always looks so wooden when he plays like his head will fall off if he hits a bum note.

Joe quipped back with saying 'it's widely known in musical circles Yngwie is just an (insert your own childish profanity here)'

Well we all knew that Joe, but what about his playing?? Far superior to yours I'm afraid!!!

Then not many years later I see the G3 line-up with Satch/Vai and whoelse but Yngwie himself :D
I take it they kissed and made up, or at least Joe made an obscene amount of ca$h for the gig, so much so he was able to endure the "(quoted childish profanity again)" through a tour. Such integrity.

Vai was great, Malmsteen was typically flamboyant and Joe was just, bloody boring to be quite honest.

Am I the only one who isn't Joe's greatest fan?

Matt