Clear all

distorted clean

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i can't figure out why my clean channel on my amp is so distorted, its really bad, it sounds like a blues distortion, and i have tried everything, messing with two guitars, the volume on both of them, the volume on the clean, and the volume on the master and no matter what i do its alwasy distorted. any ideas?

(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

some amps just are very good for clean channels what kinda amp u got

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

peavey ultra 112 60 watts all tube

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

i dunno much about that model but arent peavy usually like a metal type amp?id guess ur really stuck with that kinda clean channel because its more designed as a high gain model. Personally im looking to buy an amp and would rather have something with a great clean channel because u can also add on a tube screamer or something that something with a great hi gain channel because as far as i know u can work it the other way around and theres no pedal that like cleans the sound.

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

it should not be like this, i have heard another ultra just like mine and the clean was beautiful

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I just read several reviews of your amp.
they said it has three channels. one clean and two with gain.

they all said the clean channel is clean all the way to full volume.

that said. your amp isnt working correctly.
I doubt you have plugged into one of the gain channels.
so maybe you need to seek a tech for a checkup.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

Yep, should be able to avoid the distortion. Even my 5150 puts out a descent clean. I've heard Ultra's are quite good.

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so what could be the problem then?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It is possible that someone has substituted the wrong tubes in your amp. I went to Peavey support and looked up the manual on your amp. This amp came with four 12AX7 preamp tubes and two 6L6GC power tubes.

Carefully remove the tubes with the amp off and write down what kind of tubes you have. Note the pattern of the pins when you pull the tubes out so you can put them back in easily. Put the tubes back where they came from.

Many people substitute tubes for different reasons. Someone may have intentionally wanted the clean channel to breakup easily. I don't know why, but it is possible. Or they may not have really known what they were doing.

It is possible with the correct tubes your amp will be mint again. They have full retube kits for the Peavey Ultra series at Eurotubes. The ECC83S tubes you will see are exactly the same as the 12AX7.

Retube kits for Peavey Ultra amps

It might be possible the tubes are correct but simply worn out and old too.

These are guesses, but 90% of the time problems with tube amps are the tubes themselves.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hmmmm, i took out a power tube and it didnt say anything, it was blank, no name no model number, i dont even know what it is, and as for the 12ax7 i dont really know where it is on the amp, and i really dont feel like messing with it, i'll make it worse

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

peaveywolfgang5150

Well, tubes are really pretty simple, you pull them out, you plug them in. Occasionally an amp will have a bracket or brace that secures the tube you might have to remove.

Some tubes have a clip around it that secures it you must spread open to pull the tube out. And sometimes you have to give a tube a little wiggle to get it out. JUST A LITTLE WIGGLE.

The only way you can mess up a tube is to really force it and break off one of the pins. Or not lining the pins up properly when installing a tube and bending a pin. You can usually straighten them back out though. But if you are careful tubes are simple to remove and install.

But if you are unfamiliar with tubes you should take it to your music shop. I could be wrong, it might not be the tubes at all. But I bet it is.

The 6L6GC output or power tubes are large, the 12AX7 preamp tubes are smaller.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i pulled the 6l6 out, and it didnt have any markings on it, i looked through the whole back of the amp, and that is the only tubes i can find without unscrewing anything

ReplyQuote