Notifications
Clear all

Do guitarists need a "warm-up"?

39 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
10.3 K Views
(@bestbackingtracks)

Regarding the comment about tendonitis and other injuries, I think it's a good idea for musicians to incorporate exercise into a daily routine. Playing an instrument is a physical activity, and exercise helps prepare for it. Ever since I started lifting weights regularly, I've had less problems with my wrists, arms and back. And running several times per week clears the mind, gives you a different type of endorphin rush, helps to keep you alert, and gives you more energy for the times you play guitar. I either run, bike, play basketball, or lift weights every day, and I think that helps make it possible to play guitar as much as I do.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

.I concur with most.only dif might be it's not work but Is fun.ah yes focus is a must although when using three guitars the three purposes are still there being each one yields a different tone and sound and a lot of good fun also.

"Work" = effort expended toward a desired goal. That's not the same as drudgery (work you'd rather not be doing)

For multiple guitars, one warm up will do if they techniques and setups are similar - warm up on a 25.4" scale length Martin and you're good to go on a 25.5" Strat, because they're so similar in placement and finger motions required.

I do a second warm-up if I'm going from plectrum to classical style or vice versa, because the pick drills don't warm up the right hand, and the left hand placement is slightly different due to the difference in neck width. But I can easily go directly from acoustic practice to electric, or from any of my steel string guitars to any other without a second warm-up.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

indeed working toward achievable goals is totally different than ''working'' at something you don't like.guitars in question are just electric,semi acoustic and acoustic(all w/electric option).see you are from my old stomping grounds sorta(windy city) back in the day.in any case more often than not warming up is Essential for all genres and styles.

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

ReplyQuote
(@rorysquier)

I've been playing guitar for about 25 years and yes, you always need to warm-up. Just like a professional athlete needs to warm-up before the big game, a guitarist has to loosen his or her fingers before the big show. Warming-up helps you essentially play better. At least a half-hour before any performance. You even need to warm-up just before 'practice'! :note2:

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

I've been playing guitar for about 25 years and yes, you always need to warm-up. Just like a professional athlete needs to warm-up before the big game, a guitarist has to loosen his or her fingers before the big show. Warming-up helps you essentially play better. At least a half-hour before any performance. You even need to warm-up just before 'practice'! :note2: playing 49 years here and counting.having had multiple bands throughout most of those years.getting to a venue early for a sound check.sometimes running a short set usually worked or better put never failed.these days true dat about practicing and Welcome to Guitarnoise Rory

ReplyQuote
(@rorysquier)

You obviously had twice the practice and twice the warm-ups compared to me with 49 years of playing. :wink: As you well know, the older you get, the more essential & crucial warm-ups are. I'm amazed at how well or even better some kid is @ guitar than me with just of couple of years of playing experience. Some of them are phenomenal! I bet they practice, but most important, they warm-up...a lot. When you get older, you have to keep ahead of some of these youngsters because when they catch-up to you, they'll eat you alive. :shock:

I have a lot of problems lately keeping my timing, so I really have to practice or warm-up this area of weakness. A neat little trick that I find really helps is to have a mirror face you when you are warming-up or practicing. Have the mirror where it's reflecting your picking-hand. Now you can see your picking-hand with your head up while playing your guitar. This will help improve greatly your hand-eye coordination and eventually your timing between your picking-hand and fretting-hand. Try it out. And glad to be here on this forum. :D

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Yep,You bet your '''Bippy'''(word from my generation) I know how important warming up is.indeed there are kids that just fall into it almost naturally.of course age factors in.likely one of the reasons I don't have arthritis is from two things.playing guitar and going to a gym.some mind boggling talent is around. mere children @least to me.bested my mentor at an early age also.

timing issue when practicing or playing out?simple fix would be a metronome to get your BPM up to par either way.more often than not I never look at my picking hand,it knows what it's doing,where,etc hand-eye co oridination has never been an issue.like ear training it is just there.granted not like 20 -25 years ago but still there.you'll be glad you're here.lots of helpful folks on this forum.Fact is playing without a pick now for a totally different sound and spin.in a way using the Jeff Beck technique but with own taste.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

they say arthritis is hereditary, and due to immune dysfunction, not necessarily habits.

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

they say arthritis is hereditary, and due to immune dysfunction, not necessarily habits.This is true no one has to have it.also heard even if hereditary natural anti immflamatory's like a gym among other things do work.
back on topic.Warmups are Always necessary.another thing that does work every time.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3