Clear all

Does anyone..in the known Universe..know the correct chords

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know the correct.(.Let me qualify "correct"..Correct mean's the way it was originally played, by the original Artist, on the album/record that made it a hit)..In this case..Sunshine of Your Love by Cream on Disraeli Gears Album..or..on the Farewell Cream DVD video...I know it can be played this way and that way..but how DID Clapton play it then...I've seen 50 gadzillion versions of "It's played like this"...etc...If someone had the same equipment, same talent..how would it be played to sound exactly the same..same key..etc...BEFORE any "artistic variations" are added...I hear DDCD..What D, or C..Barre..Open...Power Chords..Any ideas?.....Someone on the Earth must know..there's 50 gadzillion guitarists on the Earth (maybe more)..someone has to know?..If you put the Disraeli Gears Album on...How do you play it chord-wise?..(talent?..well..heh heh??) to get the same sound (Don't mean same "Tone"..but same chord progressions, etc..)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Anything I could suggest would understandably just be my opinion. With that said, you might see if you can find a Cream video which has that song on it. I'm not familiar with their catalog of movies and videos, but you could do a search on google and maybe find something. Then take as close a look as possible. There's probably no documentary 'in the studio' footage, but you can be pretty well assured that what he did in the studio he tried to duplicate live.

Best

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The thing about music... there's correct, and then there's the way it was originally done. Two different animals.

I haven't played that tune in a long time, and I originally learned it E-E-D-E... to match the voice of the singer I was with. So I slapped on the Disraeli Gears cut just now.

It's a nice easy piece to sharpen up your ears. It's sometimes tough to parse out notes when there's so much fuzz in the tone, so listen to it closely... even if you can't tell if the first time through is done in single notes or intervals (power chords), the next time through it sounds 'fatter' - so he's added notes.

But that second time doesn't sound like full chords - he gets a still fuller sound during the "I've been wating so long" bit later on - so you can figure the first time through the riff is single notes with fuzz, the second time two-note power chords.

The notes on the CD are D-D-C-D. It's even in tune (so many recordings of the 1960s are off by 1/4 to 1/2 step!) The D matches open 4th, or 5th fret 5th, or 10th fret 6th. When he goes to double stops, the second note is a fifth higher... finger it any way you want, you'll still have the 'correct' notes.

The lead isn't very fast, so it's a good one to learn off the record, rather than relying on someone else's tab or interpretation.

Fooling around with it a bit, the second part of the riff (D-F-D) seems equally playable 3-6-3 on the 2nd string or 7-6-7 on strings 3-2-3. Either way, a bit of vibrato on the F note, and I match the CD. Since the first note isn't carried into the 2nd at all, either one gives the correct phrasing. You could even do it 3-1-3 on the 2nd/1st strings, but the vibrato is a little tougher to duplicate at the first fret.

Now if by 'correct', you mean the exact position Clapton played it in... who cares? If I play it with my back to you, it's dead on, whether I use identical fingering or not, and regardless of the position I choose. Even better, figuring out three different places you can play the riff will give you a better understanding of the instrument.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

... It's even in tune (so many recordings of the 1960s are off by 1/4 to 1/2 step!)...

Wow, OT flashback!

I wonder if anybody still does that - that little recording trick that just about everyone used? When a song was mixed, they used to speed the tape up just a tiny bit so that everything sounded 'tighter' and snappier. Not enough to make it sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks, but a flabby kick would sound a little better and all in all, everything was just slightly more together sounding. So we'd listen to an LP and it would be in A-just-a-bit-sharp. And then turntables were never always in snyc with each other what with the belts and all, but I remember reading that studios did that.

Nowadays? Anybody tweak the speed up a little? I think I'm going to try that and see what happens.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Most things released digitally aren't tweaked... it's the remastered stuff that's still got it. I bought a variable speed turntable more than 25 years ago so I could dial 'em back down to pitch when I needed to learn things :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Even Clapton probably doesn't know anymore.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

For the solo, just think, "Blue Moon" :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i don't know if they are the "correct" chords, but in the easy song database there is a great transcription that sounds really really good to my ears. and it is easy to play as well. sorry i can't remember who posted the tabs for it, but they did a great job

edit - it was wes who posed it and the link is http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=8772

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You can buy the sheet music for Disraeli Gears in the Hal Leonard recorded versions transcription series. That's your best bet, it seems to me. Go the GuitarNoise homepage and click on the link for gift ideas for musicians below the recommended book. That will take you to the site for Sheet Music Plus. They carry the transcription for the album.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

You can buy the sheet music for Disraeli Gears

My thoughts exactly, if you really like a particular artist, buy their sheet music.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Amazingly enough I was going through some old media files and a live version of "Sunshine" was on it. From what I can see Wes pretty much pegged it with his tab.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the input guys...I have the Fresh Live Cream DVD..and for some reason..it look's like it's a barre "DDCD" played by EC....anyone else have it..the DVD?...(OH..my wife gave me "permission" to go to the Royal Albert Hall to see the Cream Reunion..if..if..if..I could get a pair of tickets..WHEN/IF they become available...)..Reason I like Cream..I grew-up with that music..I'm 52...I was 16 when they were out..Have an autographed album & autographed photo of them mounted in a frame on my wall...

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Wes' tab is really good mrlogs...Thats a safe bet without buying the book... Although not so sure I agree with Riff A ...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote