Does this device actually work?

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hey, was searchin ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7312115467&fromMakeTrack=true#ebayphotohosting

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of something like this, and does it actually work? I don't think its an attenuator, but it does the same thing supposedly, your thoughts?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

What it basically does it plug into your "Peavey effects loop" (I dont knoew if itll work with other tube amps) and controls the volume. If this is what an annuater does then tell me. I think you can crank the amp and contol the volume. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think I will give this a shot when I get home tonight. I have a Hot Rod Deluxe that will blow me ears off, but sounds great cranked up!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

That thing is tiny. Wonder if it really works...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Basically, it reduces the signal after the pre-amp, boost, and EQ, before it goes into the power-amp section. In concept, it should work fine, and best for those with a tube-preamp and solid-state power section.

If you feel that you get extra tone improvement by driving the power output tubes into saturation, you won't get that benefit. For that you'll need a true attentuator.

But I'd probably try it. The box and connectors and labor make the $20 worth it alone.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

before you buy that one, if your'e really serious about attenuators, do a little bit of research. i hear the most popular one is a thd hotplate...look up reviews on harmony-central.com

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I ordered one for my Hot Rod Deluxe last night. Should be here next week. As Laz pointed out $20 is a cheep cost. Thanks for the info on the attenuators

John M

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Maybe it's just me but it seems to be a volume pedal without the pedal. Might work good (I believe Wes uses a volume pedal for his Hotrod), but with some volume pedals retailling for 20,- this doesn't seem to be that much of a huge step forward for guitarists. In any case you still won't be able to 'crank' it in the proper way, and the usefullness of mere cranked preamp tubes is certainly a good subject for a long and heated debate...

ReplyQuote
(@big-al-hendrix)
Trusted Member

at $20 it's worth a shot... but i doubt it'll do a proper job.

i've tried the marshall power break
http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/powerbrake/powerbrake.html

this improved the bedroom volume tone on my Marshall JCM600 a helluva lot. but it's quite expensive!!

Hendrix Freak

>Pride an' Joy
>Mr Mojo

http://www.voodoo9.co.uk
(creator of the guitarnoise logo)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Maybe it's just me but it seems to be a volume pedal without the pedal. Might work good (I believe Wes uses a volume pedal for his Hotrod), but with some volume pedals retailling for 20,- this doesn't seem to be that much of a huge step forward for guitarists. In any case you still won't be able to 'crank' it in the proper way, and the usefullness of mere cranked preamp tubes is certainly a good subject for a long and heated debate...

Both good points. You could take a standard volume pedal and put it in the same effects-loop and get the same results. I guess I didn't know you could get a volume pedal for cheap.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ah i see, its just a volume pedal without the pedal. The way the guy describes it makes you think it acts as an attenuator, letting you get that cranked amp sound at a low volume. Thanks guys.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

An attenuator is connected between the power amp and speaker. As others have said this device connects to the preamp out. I don't see were he can claim that you can drive the amp into saturation without it getting loud. Sure you can run the preamp stage hotter but thats not going to give output saturation.

Opinion: Save your money and by a real attenuator and a equalizer.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the info. I already ordered the volume pots so I will deal with this. The only volume pedal around here localy is a $120 unit with multi effects. For $20 is was worth a shot.
ElPelotero, thanks for the info on the THD hotplate. good reviews and info.

Big Al, nice, but $$ you are right.

Joe, thanks. I will work on this and sove some $$. What type/model of equalizer is good for the $$?

Thanks

John M

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll have to give us your thoughts on it after you spend some time experimenting with it. Thinking of being creative with it, if you have two amps perhaps connecting it preamp out 1st amp into that unit and then the out from that unit into the input of the 2nd amp. Kind-of like a slave setup. That would perhaps allow you different flavors of preamp gain and distortion from the 1st amp. And set the 2nd amp to a clean setting, Or another setting enough to make it sound like two different guitars playing at the same time.

I hope I explained what I was thinking.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2