Clear all

double stop

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i dont have any idea about the term called double stop, im sure u guys know it very well, somebody pls explain the idea to me.
peace :D

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Fretted notes played simultanoeusly on two adjacent strings.

The term comes from violin - by angling the bow, they can play a double stop.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

can someone plz explain the thing?? :(

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hold down a finger behind a fret on one string. Do the same on the string next to it. Play them at the same time. If you picked two notes that sound good together, good. You're playing a double stop. It's called that because "stopping" the string is another word for fretting it. Holding it down with your finger.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks rico

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're welcome. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Double Stops is just playing two notes at once really. Probably more than any other player Chuck Berry made double stops famous. Almost all of his solos were composed of double stops, usually the notes taken from the chord he was playing over. I heard Chuck in an interview explain that he was trying to play the guitar in the style of the Boogie-Woogie or Swing style piano of the late 40s, early 50s.

Here is a simple Blues solo played in the style of Chuck Berry almost exclusively double-stops.

A ~~~
e--5---------5---------5-------------
b--5---/10---5---/10---5---7---5-----
g------/9--------/9--------7---5---6- X 2
d----------------------------------7-
a------------------------------------
e------------------------------------

D ~~~ ~~~
e--5---8-------5-------------------
b--7---7-------5h7p5---------------
g---------------------7--5---------
d-----------------------------4----
a-----------------------------5----
e----------------------------------

Repeat A Riff

E ~~ D ~~
e--------------------------
b---9-9-8-7--------7-7-6-5-
g---9-9-8-7--------7-7-6-5-
d--------------------------
a--------------------------
e--------------------------

A D D# E ~~~
e--5---------5---------5-----------
b--5---/10---5---/10---5----7-8-9--
g------/9--------/9---------7-8-9--
d----------------------------------
a----------------------------------
e----------------------------------

Double stops are a great way to add variety to single note solos. They sound fuller like chords. Many players also hybrid pick the notes for a nice effect. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones is another player who uses many double-stops in his solos.

Here is a video of Chuck Berry with a few other well known players. The intro is all double stops as well as the solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3sec4CjXiQ

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A question, Wes - OK, the very first chord (powerchord? double stop?) is the 5-5 on the B and E strings. On the next double stop, there's a slash before the 10 and the 9...../10 and /9 played together.....what does the "/" before the 10 and the 9 denote?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

That means slide up to those notes. They are the same exact notes, but the tone is lower... super effect. This is one of Chuck's more famous licks. Make sure you hear the slide up. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ah, right, got you. I guess it doesn't matter where you start the slide, within reason, a couple of frets below should do it? I've only seen slides - or slurs, as I've also seen them called - tabbed like this.....7s9 - meaning pluck the string at the 7th fret, then slide it up to the 9th without plucking again.

I'll try that tab in the AM....

Thanks yet again, Wes.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

Yeah, just slide from where you are after playing the double stop at the 5th fret. Where you stop is what matters with that slide. :D

ReplyQuote