Notifications
Clear all

ebay experience

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@davenporter)
Topic starter  

hey guys, i just wanted to know what y'alls experience with buying guitars on ebay has been.

i'm not sure whether i could buy a guitar without hearing how it sounds first... hmmz... i'm thinking of checking out pawn shops and stuff

but if the price is THAT much better on ebay, is it worth it?

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

There are some deals but be cautious. So many scams floating around...there are always a lot of vintage fakes on ebay with people bidding big bucks and getting scamed.

I bid on a 72 strat a month ago, the seller was in the UK. There was no reserve, and in the last ten seconds someone with no feedback and a recent address change outbid me. Obviously a friend of the seller...then two days later I recieved an email saying the first buyer had flaked out and I could buy it, but now he had a different address to send the money to...total scam. Probably someone hijacked the original buyers account.

You have to really know what your looking for. I think the fender strats are the easiest to scam people with cause there are so many parts floating around.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

You have to really know what your looking for. I think the fender strats are the easiest to scam people with cause there are so many parts floating around.

Yeah, it's easy to find a vintage neck and bolt it to a modern body and demand bigger bucks for it. The simpler design and construction also make it easy to fake stuff.

People should start watermarking their axe photos, I bet that would help quite a lot in fraud cases.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

DAMN THE SCAMMERS!!!!!!!!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I've had a number of pretty good experiences on ebay. However, I'm looking for the diamond in the rough and not your high end stuff.

So I found my Fylde and McSpadden for $300 each. $300 is great price for handmade guitars that sell for over a grand each.

I also just bought a Washburn Stephen's DC-80-E for $113. That's another guitar that sells for about $1000.

I wouldn't buy a high end acoustic off ebay, just because I'd want to play it first.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have had great luck with Ebay but I am very careful at the same time.
Before I bid on anything I do a number of things.
I look at the sellers feedback. If there are any nagatives I not only read them but I also look up the person that left it to see what his feedback is.
I ask the seller a question (doesn't matter what the question is, just make up something) to see how well the seller comunicates.
If buying anything used I try to avoid people with thousands of feedbacks. High volume often relates to poor service.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've bought a lot of E-bay stuff that's cookie cutter.... if you're getting tapes or books or something where every one is the same, it's great.

For guitars, I've gotta play them first. Eventually one tells me to buy it, and that's not something that happens with a digital image.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've picked up a few good deals equipment. Guitars I haven't. I was looking at one a couple weeks ago then spaced it out. I'd have to think twice over spending a C note for one without a test drive.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i bought my PRS Santana SE on ebay for $400 and i'm confident that it's not a counterfeit. before i bought it i called the place and it turned out that it was a real store and they had a website.

i had just looked at this same guitar at a store near me, even the same color and what i bought was the exact same.

ReplyQuote