Notifications
Clear all

Electric Guitar - Dynamics

33 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The point I was trying to make is that dynamics come from the hands, not pedals, or even amp volume. Here is Stevie Ray on acoustic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMtFFYmVzo4&feature=related

He could play with dynamics on any guitar. Listen to how soft he gets around 2:08 in the video.

I know this will sound like a jab, and it is not meant to, but this is one reason I do not like Metal players. They try to get their dynamics with volume or boost pedals. They use tons of compression which completely takes dynamics out of their playing to get long singing sustain. Real dynamics comes from the hands, not pedals, or even your amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Agreed on that, for sure. Stevie and Jeff Beck are the electric guys (with a lil Hendrix and Luther Allison thrown in, too, lol) I've noticed who can/could do this really well - I was listening to SRV doing Tin Pan Alley last night, and I've got a DVD where he does this on electric, too, and it just kills me how much control the guy has, and its all from his hands. That what I want!!! :mrgreen:

This is why Ive been recluctant to buy many pedals, too. I want to push myself to get as much from my hands (or a limited set-up) as possible, before chucking pedals into the mix. I don't want to be one of those guitarists who sounds great but, take away their pedals, and they just sound standard. I'm not anti-pedals, and will probs get more over time, I just want it to be something of a 'last resort' if that makes sense.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

i think the best way to work on your "finger" or picking dynamics is practising on an acoustic. Make sure you take whichever piece you are working on to different places dynamically by altering your touch. I think there is lots to be said about pianostyle approaches to guitaring.

practicing loud is actually, and this isn't to offend anybody, really quite a bad idea, and actually can result in permanent hearing loss from unnecessary prolonged exposure to loud noise. musicians get exposed to enough loud music without taking it home with us.

by using an acoustic, you are in complete control of how loud or soft you are playing without electricity as a middle man. Practice playing loud and soft, try a few swells too. It's great fun and can sound amazing.

You'll also notice the difference in timbre from playing soft to loud. I think it adds a hell of a lot more emotional feel to your playing as all the feel and touch is coming from you, not a pedal. This is why SRV can almost bring a tear to my eye with his playing. It's straight from the heart baby.

without adjusting volume controls, you should be able to go from barely audible to kick in the nuts just with your technique, you have to remember to feel the changes tho, think of it like a singer. If they sing a line like "I'm so lost without you i wanna die" with a big grin on their face, nobody will feel it. emotion is the key to unlocking great playing.

Hope this helps.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3