Clear all

Epiphone G-1275 Custom/ Gibson EDS 1275 DOUBLE NECK Guitars

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I've been considering the Epihpone doubleneck (modeled after jimmy page's) and it looks like a really great deal. I was reading reviews, and many people said that it is difficult to play anything above the 15th fret because of the toggle switch blocking your hand on the 6 string neck. I am kind of worried about this, and I'm wonderin, does anyone own this guitar. If you do, can you tell me if there really is difficulty playing above fret 15? It would be great if you insert a picture.

Thanks

(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I have Epiphone G-1275 guitar and all I can say is that it is well worth the money sounds great and I have not had any problems with hitting the toggle switch, Flame top cherry red, I realy like this guitar and highly recomend it you will not be sorry.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So the toggle switch does not interfere with your hand at all when playing above fret 15? That's good news for me. Would you be able to post up a pic by any chance of you playing at fret 20?

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I don't have a digital camera, As long as you are aware it could happen just be careful when you go down to the 20th fret, I haven't run into it myself but I'm sure it could happen. Just be careful and enjoy the guitar you will like it, It is heavy so be aware of that, I have a Gibson Les Paul which is heavy, so for me it was not a problem I was already used to the weight, I am very happy with mine got it online at Music 123, like I said you will not be sorry if you decide to get it.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Gizzy: Have you had any problems with strings being too short? I've heard of this problem with the Epiphone version, where the tailpiece is located further away from the bridge than the Gibson version.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot Gizzy. I was wondering also, is it alot of trouble playing while sitting down with that guitar? Does the 12 string neck ever get in your way and can you also play on the 12 string neck easily while sitting? JUst one more question, can you play some things around fret 18-20 and tell me if the switch is in your way. (You said you never really played up there)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The best thing to do is see if you can try one out personally. I've searched the net in various places and haven't found a single instance of anyone ever having a problem with hitting the switch. Where did you hear about this problem?

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

If you check out the reviews at harmony central, and some of the reviews at musicians friend, there are some ppl who state that problem. Sadly, none of the guiatrs store near me carry the doublenecks just to try it out. My only other option is to order it, and try it out. If I don't like it, I would have to return it

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I have only played this guitar while sitting down, and after a few hours you get used to having both necks does not take long to get used to using it, the 12 string neck does not get in the way once you get adjusted to both necks there is no problems that I have run across yet. with the toggle switch near the bridge in the middle position you have both necks on and you can get some great sounds that bleed over to the other neck. I have never seen one in a store so I ordered it online, The guitar is much better looking then the picture online, It has small black flame stripes going across the body and a deep cherry red color very nice looking, You will truly like it, order it if you can this is one guitar that when you bring it out everyone comes around to see it and they all like it.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you check out the reviews at harmony central, and some of the reviews at musicians friend, there are some ppl who state that problem. Sadly, none of the guiatrs store near me carry the doublenecks just to try it out. My only other option is to order it, and try it out. If I don't like it, I would have to return it

I went through the Harmony-Central reviews and searched but there seemed to be only problems with the switches not being up to par. I read through all 30 of the responses and found:

"Have fun reaching anything above the 15th fret on ANY neck, the design sucks that bad. One thing I was surprised not to hear about on other reviews is the neck selector switch right near the bridges. It gets in your way BIG TIME if you play the 6 string portion, but that is also on the Gibson version."

"The primary problem is that the lower cutaway interferes with proper hand position, so if you need to play scale patterns above the 14th fret, its way awkward."

"there are only 20 fret on either neck, and even though it is a double cut-away, it is pretty hard to have access to anything above the 16-17th fret."

Seems like only one guy had a problem with the neck selector switch (between the bridges), and the others had problems with the way the cutout is on the 6-string side, but there's nothing about it being difficult to play up high *because* of the toggle blocking their hand. They were separate issues. :)

So...nothing to worry about :)

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I have heard that the Epiphone model is better than the Gibson model, you have 3 toggle switches on the Epiphone model, 1 switch for each neck and 1 switch to select which neck you are using, the gibson model only has 2 switches 1 for selecting your necks and one for your pickups.
All I can say is if you get one give it a chance and take time to get used to playing it in the long run you will truly love it.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hehe, I agree. I've wanted a double-neck since...wow - 1973! Never found an affordable lefty one though :( If Epiphone ever made a lefty 1275 I'd get one instantly. Southpaw has the Gibsons now but it's out of my price range. If I were going to spend that much I'd have Fender Custom Shop make me a 6/12 Strat, or get the parts from Warmoth and make it myself lol.

Funny thing about the Warmoth version though: when I did a Photoshop version of it to plan out the controls, I wound up with the neck selector right there between the necks where the cutout is. The only time it would get in my way would be if I strummed up toward the neck (whcih I almost never do :) For that matter, a Les Paul toggle switch would sorta be in the way too - but it's something you can get used to.

Anyhow, realistically now, I don't 'need' a double-neck because I don't do rock anymore and I don't play live. It's a utilitarian thing to me - a workaround like Pagey had to do - and if there's no use for it, there's no need for it.

Cool looking instruments though! :)

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, if I were to buy one it'ed probably be just for the 12 string side. I really wouldn't have a need to play both, but would like that 12 string. Plus, as shallow as this sounds, the thing just looks really cool.

I only wish Epi made them in Alpine White...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote