Clear all

epiphone les paul standard and classic differences

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey, are there any differences between the epiphone les paul standards and classics?

thanx

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

There are about a dozen or so variations of these guitars.

You can compare the specs here........

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=159&CollectionID=6

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The pickups should be a bit hotter on the classic. It was definately noticeable on the Gibsons I looked at. I didn't try the Epiphones.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

its says that the nut on the classic is 1.6875" and on the stanard its just 1.68, how much of a difference will this make? and the nut on the standard is bigger or smaller? thanx

mikey

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Should be the same width.

'Standard' models of Les Pauls are typically modeled after the 1959 Les Paul, while 'Classic' models are modeled after the 1960. The only essential difference in this case should be the neck depth: Classics are known for being more slender, though they are certainly no where near as thin as say, an Ibanez RG.

On the gibson models, the Classics have noticibly hotter pickups (500T's), but I'm not sure if this difference is evident in the Epiphone versions.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

its says that the nut on the classic is 1.6875" and on the stanard its just 1.68, how much of a difference will this make? and the nut on the standard is bigger or smaller? thanx

Hi Mikey, going on the sizes you have listed the nut on the classic is larger by 0.0075". A hair on your head (assuming you're not bald) is about 0.003". So the classic is larger by about 2 1/2 hairs, if you can tell the difference then you are a better man than me

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote