Clear all

Epiphone

46 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I always thought of Epiphones as the Squiers of Gibson...but i just checked out the prices on Epiphone Les Pauls and they are over a grand!...surely these must be high end guitars?...or is it just that a real Les paul is so freakin' expensive!?

and why is it L.P.'s are sooo expen$ive (have they always been)?...i mean my Am. Dlx. Strat was almost $1700.00 but a real L.P. (not the supreme or dlx. model either) is over 2 g's.

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Where were the Epis made? The Elitist series is made in Japan and is excellent. Most standard Korean made ones are around US400-600. Some of the Korean made signature models start going upwards.

As for price, it's a big chunk of mahogany and binding plus a set neck, plus Gibson's target audience seems more willing to throw money about. And they've got 'THE NAME'.
Me, I'm happy with my Japanese made Elite, and if I ever bought a Gibby, it would be a second-hand re-issue.

Thanks greybeard, I keep forgettiing :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

imo they are both overpriced, however i would still purchase either if the guitar appealed to me enough.
if you have not played one extensively maybe you should check out an Agile AL2000, they get mostly rave reviews and are probably made in the same Korean factory as the non-elite Epiphones.
http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

btw please tell me you didn't pay list price for your Am Strat :(

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that Epi has been making it's LPs in purpose-built factories in China fo the last 2-3 years. I believe that it is only the ES guitars that are still made in Korea. The factory can be found from the serial number:
DW = DeaWon (China)
EA = Gibson/QuingDao (China)
EE = Gibson/QuingDao (China)
I = Saein (Korea) http://www.saein.co.kr
Saein is famous as shine Guitar.
1998 - 1999 Winning 'The Best Quality Award of the Year' presented by Gibson Epiphone USA.

MC = Muse (China)
R = Peerless (Korea) http://www.peerlessguitar.com
S = Samick (Korea) http://www.samick.co.kr
SJ = SaeJung (China)
U = unsung (Korea) http://www.unsung.co.kr
B = Bohemia (Czech Republic)

The Czech built guitars are said to be of higher quality than the Asian guitars, but only at a marginally higher price (ca 4%). They are, apparently, only for the European market.

The Elitist series (the name "Elite" never actually made it to more than the first production series) is made at one of 2 factories Tekada or Fujiyen (spelling may be wrong).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

My Elistist's seral no. starts with an F???
It's quite possible that I'm a couple of years behind. Usually am :)

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

greybeard, thanks for the serial info! I haven't seen it laid out like that before. Thanks!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I always thought of Epiphones as the Squiers of Gibson..

Epiphone is an old guitar brand that used to be fairly well respected. Vintage Epiphones still command a hefty price for good reasons beyond just their relative rarity.

Under Gibson management, they've suffered the same fate as the rest of Gibson's line, but the masterbuilt and elite series tend to remain of reasonably high quality. Though some would argue the quality level doesn't justify the premium prices.

One of the nice things about Epiphones is that because lots of people do view them as the "squire of Gibson" the don't have the resale value of Gibson branded guitars. This means that the "lightly used" market is often awash in good buys.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got an Epi and love it. According to the chart, it is Korean made. Plays like a charm. Mine was $650. Not an elitest, but a good one just the same.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'll say now that I don't agree with the comment, but one of the salesmen at the biggest guitar shop in the centre of Munich said "They (the Elitist range) may be good, but who wants Epiphone on the headstock?". I think that's half the problem - perceived quality (or lack thereof) because of the image, created by Gibson.
I believe that the Elitist range was designed to combat Heritage, who have guitars every bit as good (if not better than Gibson) at very much lower prices, although higher than the Elitists.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

I have an Epiphone, and love it to pieces, obviously if one day I could afford a Gibson - I will get one.
I have a Sheraton II and paid £540 second hand (beautiful condition, and played like twice. It was a guitar from a band, and bought for the sake of it).
I love all of it... Epiphone's are not the Squire of Gibson - Epiphone is an Epiphone :)

And to be honest - someone commented "who wants Epiphone on the Headstock". Oasis didn't mind for many years?!
And the headstocks have beautiful unique designs too... although the Truss Rod Cover says Gibson ;) Thats good enough for me :)

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I like Epiphone. The G-400, the SG pretty much is an amazing guitar. For the price, you'd be hard pressed to beat it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Good point on bringing up the Heritage. If you want a Les Paul/ES kind of guitar with high quality woods, material, and craftsmanship with a lower price tag, Heritage is the way to go. A slightly used Heritage LP guitar can be had from $800 - 1200 (with case, etc). The newer models use Duncan pickups.

Made in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

To see some examples, check out Buffalo Brothers http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/heritage.html and remember that these are NEW, prices on eBay or a local shop will be lower.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Made in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
They are actually made in the old Gibson factory by ex-Gibson employees on ex-Gibson machinery. When Gibson moved from Kalamazoo, they offered all the workers jobs in the new factory, but many declined, because they were against having to move house. A number of those employees put their money together and bought out the old factory, lock, stock and barrel.
From those that I've seen, they are very high quality instruments, at a far better bang-for-the-buck than Gibson (in my opinion).

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I've been wanting to try Heritage for awhile. Pity they can't seem to get a foothold in Toronto.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Epiphones are better than strat to be straight-forward. They are marketed as such, and it is actually the case...Certainly when you get to around the G-400 range they are very good quality.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4