Skip to content
exactly how many st...

Notifications
Clear all

exactly how many styles are there when playing guitar?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 kibz
(@kibz)
Topic starter  

righttt... lets get the story on, appearantly, im the best guitar player in school (yeah baby~) but, a close friend of mine came up to me and said things that i never even heard of like, 'cota 6' and 'cota 7' and 'blues' (well i know blues but i just dont know how to play it) and this hit me the most 'finger style'... i always thought that fingerstyle was just picking the strings one by one like in "Falling Slowly", "Dust in the Wind", and "Tears in Heaven". but the guy said that fingerstyle is picking the strings one by one AND using your palm and thumb to slap the strings making a beat. kinda like Andy McKee's 'drifting' sooo i just wanted to know exactly how many styles there are and plz, if you would, give me some uhhh examples of songs which would best make me pratice these styles.. thank you!!

(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member

Go to youtube, and look up a channel for Candyrat Records (I think the channel is called "rpoland")

A lot of great and diverse styles on there, mostly fingerstyle acoustic. That should be a good inspiration, if nothing else. Good luck!

Tone is subjective.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

"How many styles???" Yer kidding, right??? :shock:

Pick a number...a big one...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@oldskoolrob)
Trusted Member

Congrats on being the best player in school...now you have to just be the best player you can be. ...and remember there will always be someone better, or someone you can learn from - even if they're not as 'good' as you, they may have something in their style to learn from. If you watch any guitar jam sessions (take G3 for example) you will notice the BEST guys looking at each other going "hmm - how can I copy/steal that bit?!" lol.
There are exactly 1 946 592 027 364 different guitar styles. It's a BIG world out there and school is just a small part of it.

Wise man once said: The day you stop learning, you have stopped living.
Peaceout
:P

ReplyQuote
(@jwing)

There are exactly 1 946 592 027 364 different guitar styles. :P
WRONG! Jeesh....I sooooo sick of ignorant people spewing misinformation all over the internet. I invented a new style last month. It's known as Anti-Nashville-pinkneck-Alabama-intellectual-high-gravity-microbrew-buzz. So, clearly there are 1 946 592 027 365 styles, FOOL! :P

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

And everytime a newbie picks up a guitar you can add one more.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Good insight, Nick. How so very, very true...

Cat :wink:

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote