Clear all

Experienced player came over and checked out my gear

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I had a relative come visit from out of town, he's been playing since 1965, so we went down to the basement cause I wanted an experienced hand to give me an eval on some of the gear I recently bought. To me that would allow the comment: "Gee honey look what a good shopper I am" rather than the "Do you really NEED 3 guitars" one I usually get :)

Epiphone SG Special: He liked it and could'nt believe it was only $150, came out of tune though, prob cause my stringing skills aren't great yet.

Johnson Accustic: he loved the sound of it, and I gotta admit it sounded nice when he played it.

Epiphone Valve special amp: He LOVED this amp, I told him about the Valve jr , I think he's gonna buy one.

Now the reason I posted this is my other guitar, I bought a Stinger SSX off of Ebay for $40, its made by Martin, well, contracted out and they got them back and did the setups in the late 80's. Its a pretty standard strat copy. He loved this guitar, played it for about an hour, said it was one of the best feeling guitars he'd ever played.

That amazed me, go figure, a $40 guitar..... "HONEY, see I told you I couldn't go wrong with a $40 guitar...., now about that '73 Duster we were looking at the other day" :)

He was a really good player and I actually got to show him something, he plays Horse with No Name and did'nt know that wierd little chord in it, soon as I told him he hit it and was like, yep thats it...heh. Was a fun afternoon, I just wish he didn't live 1000 miles away, I could learn a lot from him.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

That amazed me, go figure, a $40 guitar..... "HONEY, see I told you I couldn't go wrong with a $40 guitar...., now about that '73 Duster we were looking at the other day" :)

You know, I kind of like that, I've played more expensive guitars when trying out effects pedals at the music shop and i have to admit, although they do have a bit of a nicer feel, look alot fancier, i really still like my 'cheaper' guitars. Just goes to show you that you don't need anything extremely expensive.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I love watching expierienced players play my gear. You sit their hoping some of it wears off on you.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Finding an experienced player to play my guitar (and future guitars) is almost impossible as i am lefty.

Although it would be another thing , if i somehow land at David's place someday...:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Although it would be another thing , if i somehow land at David's place someday

Rahul- You will never find the place, trust me.

Scott

Sounds like a lot of fun, and you are a good shopper. Only problem now is when you want to buy a $2000 Les Paul later on. Your wife is gonna remind you that you got a great guitar for only $40, so why do you need to spend 2 grand for this Les Paul thing? :D

You enjoyed playing with another guitar player? Time to hit the Open Mics.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member

I love watching expierienced players play my gear. You sit their hoping some of it wears off on you.
LOL!!!! I completely understand and agree :)

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Heh, no doubt Wes, Alan the guy that came over hasn't bought a guitar in 20 years, he wants a Rickenbacker, don't know much about them other than Tom Petty, and the beatles used them.

Not sure about open mic night, but I do see the benefit of sitting down and jamming with other people, the sharing of info is great, espeicially if everyone checks egos at the door :)

That Stinger is hard to find info on, nothing much around about it.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Wes , i am sure you would help me out to do so.Or the man himself !

I think , i would be good enough to jam with by that time...

Actually i have heard some queer things regarding the hidden location of david's house. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

It's all about personality man, gear thats got personality kis ass 40$ or not, Ive got a squeir strat for 100$ that I'm re doing with gfs humbuckers and coil taps, Its wicked and I'm very attached to her. Martin makes electrics?

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ya, it seems so, I've been checking a bit more seems like they discontinued the Stinger line around 1990, started around 85-86, so they didn't do them long.

They did'nt actually make them in the US they were made overseas and Martin then got them back and did the set-ups before shipping.

So far thats about all the info I can find.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here's a pic of the Stinger:

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rahul

Yes, I do know where David's house is, but have been sworn to secrecy. However, I did manage to sneak out a photo of his lovely home.

Now, are you still sure you want to visit? :shock:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

all it needs now is a dragon lol, I bet it's hiding somewhere

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Dibbs on the Princesses room. mmmMMMMmm Princesses

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i've long suspected that the "gold" at the end of the rainbow was actually Davids' house 8)

#4491....

ReplyQuote