Clear all

Fancy Picks

30 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if anyone ever uses those fancy expensive picks. Here was one I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20831&item=7315400386&rd=1

What do you think?

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Heck no.

I might as well just send you $20 and pretend I lost it with all the others.

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Haha....thought that might be the case. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Lets see, $10 to $20 for a pick, Hmmm I don't think so. :lol:

Heck, I hate paying for the 60 cent picks the way I lose them. Good news though. I found 6 picks in my back yard over the weekend. They flew out the dryer vent :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm not really concerned about losing it. I don't usually lose picks, I just end up throwing them away after their time has been served.

I was more asking just too see if there is any real benefit with the way these picks play. Basically if they live up to the claims they make.

Don't mind paying $10 for a pick if it lasts for a very long time, and makes a positive difference in my playing when I'm using a pick (as opposed to fingerpicking).

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Chjeck this one out:Wierdest Pick Ever

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Chjeck this one out:Wierdest Pick Ever
Your right, weirdest pick ever.

If however you look a little further down the page the Dava picks are really nice. They flex in the middle so if you choke down on it it acts more like a heavy pick and if you hold it a little back of center it acts and feels more like a thin pick.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't know about them, but I do use a bunch of different picks depending on the sound I want. The Dava looks interesting, even the zero gravity does.

You know the part of "brain damage" where you switch from finger picking to strumming? I wonder if the zero gravity pick would work for that.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Seems like the zero gravity picks could have some potential when switching between fingers and pick quickly. I guess you could just flip it over the index and back at will.

I guess it would also reduce some of the flexibility of the thumb and index fingers for alternate picking. That may not be all bad as you would be forced into 100% wrist action.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I've seen that "jellyfish" pick advertised before. Could be interesting. Some of those might be worth a try.

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Wow :!:

The pick on eBay comes with a satin pouch - that will make me want to buy it (NOT :!: ). Gee, I wonder if it comes in designer colors that will match my music room decor :roll:

I agree with Nick - use various picks for different sounds - one of my favorites is made out of turtle shell that belonged to my Grandfather 8) I also use a piece of bakelite (early hard plastic) that I formed, a dime, and the 30-cent "Fender" picks I get from the local Guitar Center.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow, haven't heard/seen someone use the old (NOT!) line in about 10 years. Did you rent Wayne's World last night?

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

No - didn't rent the video - however, I have been around the block more than once.

As a hint I saw the "Who" live at the old Chicago "McCormick Place" and even seen Jimi Hendrix perform live 8)

I've also been known to use, Boss, Gear, Far Out, and a few other assorted phrases.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

neat!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

No - didn't rent the video - however, I have been around the block more than once.

As a hint I saw the "Who" live at the old Chicago "McCormick Place" and even seen Jimi Hendrix perform live 8)

I've also been known to use, Boss, Gear, Far Out, and a few other assorted phrases.

BS

I'm originally from WI. Remember when we used to cover everything we owned with STP* stickers said "Bag you!" ??

*Super Test Petroleum, not Stone Temple Pilots (nee Shirley Temple's P...)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2