Notifications
Clear all

Fancy Picks

30 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'm a Rad, Gnarly with a G and Bogus kinda guy myself!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think the Dunlop Tortex picks are GROOVY and I prefer them over anything else I have tried.

(silk shirts, bell bottoms and platform shoes)

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

there should be a thread with just retro quotes :P

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

gnease,

You're killing me :lol: Boy :!: do I remember - you could write an entire book on old sayings - each geographic area and generation has its great expressions :wink:

BS

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

A satin pouch? I guess I could carry it with my velvet lined chop sticks box.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

"I've seen that "jellyfish" pick advertised before. Could be interesting. Some of those might be worth a try."

Someone got me one for Christmas. Throughly useless, trust me.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

gnease, no man, STP is Stop That Piston :D I use to build race engines in that era when I was in the service. Tore many a motor apart with that stp sludge in the bottom. But I do remember the stickers everywhere. Andy G had that one figured!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

On the topic of picks...

I wonder if this is going to be one of those things where we're all kicking ourselves in 5 years. I've been hearing rumblings in upper class guitar circles that it's becoming more acceptable to pay $10+ for guitar strings, because, Hey - What part of the guitar could be more important than that? And yet so many think nothing of spending 2k on the wood, and balk at $8 strings... :?

Likewise, the pick is your interface with the guitar, it's shape, weight, feeling, durablility, all affect your sound in an obvious way. Maybe the $10 pick is a ripoff, just a way for someone to make money, but hey, I'd give it a shot. Seems like a cheap way to improve your setup... yeah?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@starz3j)

I was wondering if anyone ever uses those fancy expensive picks. Here was one I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20831&item=7315400386&rd=1

What do you think?[/quote No I wouldnt pay that much I get mine from Musicansfriend.com 12 for $1.99 and they are GREAT!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I've always enjoyed the word "nifty".

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

Okay, an old saying of my daddy's comes to mind. It's not how fast the car is, it's how fast the driver can go. So I guess that means No matter how much a pick costs, the music is only as good as the musician.

Uh-oh, I bet I opened a can of worms with that one.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

LOL, I will bet that starts some grumbling. But you are right, if you do not have the skill, the best equipment does not make you sound that way. It does make an improvement, I must admit. Like one of the dudes in the guitar shaop said, "I caould have SRV's amp and guitar and still not sound like him. I would bet he could make mine sing though."

Food for thought.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

From Nick's little red book of sayings:

Don't be caught with a $3000 guitar but only $300 fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Lately I've given up on trying to keep track of little coin sized pieces of plastic. So I just use my fingers most of the time, however if I do need a plectrum I use one of these baby's

I've always preferred the old ones that had the wooden grip because they had a mellower sound, but they are hard to find these days.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Yeah, I'd use one of those badboys, it would be far out and gnarley, sweet.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2