Notifications
Clear all

Feeling?

82 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

This thread seemed to elicit some mighty heated feelings, so I just thought in order to find some common ground we could all agree my earlier post in this thread was outstanding.

Thanks.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's all personal taste like OWA that's it. If you like the music it'll have some meaning to you and you will tend to think it's played with feeling. If you don't like the music you'll think it doesn't have feeling...purely subjective.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you don't like the music you'll think it doesn't have feeling...purely subjective.

Not neccesarily IMHO. Music has great power to invoke memory, good or bad, and it doesn't matter whether you like the music or not when you hear it because you're automatically taken back to that place.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here:

Music is a catalyst (one of many) for human emotions. The musician can act to speed or impede our reaction to the music, much like heat or cold impacts chemical reactions.

To say a musician is "playing with emotion" one is saying that the musician is improving the impact of the music on one's emotions. The more gifted the musician, the broader the impact of their playing a given piece of music across the target audience.

At least that's what the voices in my toothbrush told me to say.

/Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Alan, I agree but I think that is a different situation. There's a lot of music that when I hear it it reminds me of a time and place but that is totally seperate from whether or not I like it or I feel it was played with feeling. In the case you refer to all your brain is doing is linking the sound of a particular song to a memory. Kind of like a Pavlovian response. Not quite the same as me feeling the song was played with feeling.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It's all personal taste like OWA that's it. If you like the music it'll have some meaning to you and you will tend to think it's played with feeling. If you don't like the music you'll think it doesn't have feeling...purely subjective.
Might be just the opposite...If the music has meaning to you, and you think its played with feeling, you'll like it.

Completly changes the meaning there, but I think thats more true, at least for me.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I didn't read all the posts about the subject..but I think feeling comes when you play following your heart and passion, from a bluesman , a punk rocker, a techno DJ,a beebop jazz player or a japanese toko player...the coordinates and techniques must be different, but if you are sincere in you playing without overdoing it, the audience will agree you play with feeling.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think "playing with emotion" is just poetic license, and personally I never got poetry :D

Anyway, what I mean is that if someone is "playing with emotion", all they are doing is playing with confidence and focusing on the way in which the notes are being played as opposed to just reading sheet music, focusing on the timing and notes.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

The extreme cases of feeling are JImi Hendrix and Pete Townshend destroying their guitars, for instance.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

The extreme cases of feeling are JImi Hendrix and Pete Townshend destroying their guitars, for instance.

Personally, I always thought that was more for "shock value" than to express feeling!! :D

A friend of mine wrote a song that Garth Brooks recorded ('The Cowboy Song' by Roy Robinson - aka - Amos Staggs on Garth's 'In Pieces' CD). So, when he played Dallas my boyfriend-at-the-time and I and Amos and his wife went before the concert to hang out with Garth for a while. Long story much shorter..... He had a room filled with Epiphone guitars that he had purchased specifically for the purpose of smashing to pieces onstage!! He told Amos to go in and pick one out and take it home with him, autographed, of course!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Personally, I always thought that was more for "shock value" than to express feeling!! :D

A friend of mine wrote a song that Garth Brooks recorded ('The Cowboy Song' by Roy Robinson - aka - Amos Staggs on Garth's 'In Pieces' CD). So, when he played Dallas my boyfriend-at-the-time and I and Amos and his wife went before the concert to hang out with Garth for a while. Long story much shorter..... He had a room filled with Epiphone guitars that he had purchased specifically for the purpose of smashing to pieces onstage!! He told Amos to go in and pick one out and take it home with him, autographed, of course!

i bet the guys that made the effort to build those guitars are kinda feeling why did i bother!....thats certainly not emotion or feeling :cry:

your right electra...its shock value

but does it shock anymore?...its old style now....its been done to the death i'd say :roll:

question.....did he tune them before smashing them? :)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you're right. you are an idiot.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

oh well

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

I think "playing with emotion" is just poetic license, and personally I never got poetry :D

Anyway, what I mean is that if someone is "playing with emotion", all they are doing is playing with confidence and focusing on the way in which the notes are being played as opposed to just reading sheet music, focusing on the timing and notes.

I agree that a lot of music is contrived, but not all of it. Do you think that Eric Clapton wasn't feeling anything when he wrote Tears in heaven after his kid died? http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/tears.htm If there is no personal emotional investment in music, is it even logical to pick up a piece of wood with 6 analogue oscillators and stand there and generate random tones? :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

key here is the point about the "intended audience." As Sleutelbos notes, unfamiliar music will not be recieved in the same way as familiar music. Thus, someone who has never listened to Jazz might listen to some terrific Al DiMeola solo and hear nothing but a cacophony whereas someone who is used to listening to modern jazz will hear great emotion.

This reality is replayed every generation as the 40-somethings complain that their teenagers listen to nothing but noise, while the teenagers think their parents are insane because they can't appreciate the great emotional content of their music . . .

Very true. 8)

It's interesting to read contemporary reviews of some of the Classical pieces that are now accepted as 'timeless masterpieces'. Many of them were scorned as junk when first performed. And conversely, many Classical works that were hugely popular in their day are now dismissed or forgotten. They just don't strike the right chord any more... :roll:

The emotional content that's put out by a player or composer is not always received in the way it was intended. But it's still a big part of the object of the exercise. :) No matter what writers write only a certain percentage of their readers will fully 'get it' or agree. Same with music. Sometimes you can pour the emotion in and the connection is made with at least some of the audience. Sometimes not.

Emotionally yours,

Chris
:D :cry: :roll: :P :x :shock: :? 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6