For you Diy'ers, Mockingbird

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I built this MB using walnut for the body with some purpleheart. I chambered it somewhat to lessen the weight. The neck I bought; maple/rosewood 22 fret 25 1/2" scale. I'm using GFS p/u; Vintage '59 neck and Fat Paf in the bridge. Walnut p/u rings. Schaller tuneamatic adjustable string spacing bridge. The tailpiece is my design made of walnut that makes full contact with the body. The control knobs are handmade walnut. The neck is bolted on but not with the usual threaded screws. I'm using cab bolts with hidden barrel nuts. Much stronger and tighter joint.
I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. My first build.
How does it sound? Well what can I say? :D

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Looks very nice, especially with your custom tailpiece design. The pup rings are very classy too. Where will the neck-side strap button go?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The body is a beautiful piece of work, nay, craftsmanship - but to me (and this is only one man's opinion....) the strat-style headstock looks out of place. Seems to me it should be more angular or jagged, and possibly stained to match the body.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

That's a nice looking guitar!

But I agree with Vic, it'd look even better if the headstock matched the colour of the body, maybe even shaped like the spike on the lower side of the body.

Nice job though!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I agree about the headstock, but it's an awesome job regardless.

I'm hoping that you have prior woodworking experience, cause your first build is a hell of a lot nicer than my first build (without any prior experience). The countouring on the back is especially beautiful

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

So, are you taking orders?

Awesome!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

Beautiful! I've wondered about building a guitar, there's a bit of research I gotta do before I cross that bridge though! The body is really beautiful though and I imagine it wouldn't be too too difficult to sand and stain the neck/headstock to better match the body. Overall though, as a first attempt it's fantastic!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very well done! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Agree with Reincarnate totally but beautiful piece of art...love the knobs too :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Looks awful ... can I have it? :lol: Seriously, it looks beautiful. Nice job!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It's kind of humourous that the colour of the headstock is an issue. I decided to use zebra humbuckers in order to blend the body with the headstock.
But all is cool. Thanks for all the compliments.
Also this is not my first experience in crafting with wood. As a hobby I make a lot of different pieces of furniture; from jewellry boxes to large wall units. I suppose making a guitar is just an extension of this.
thx eh!
PS I'm finishing a unique guitar stand for this guitar. Any interest for posting?

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Yeah, lets see it!

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

I bet if you sold that thing it'd go for a pretty penny.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That is wild cool.

Good work!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2