Clear all

Fell in love with a 12 string

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I went to a local music store and a really nice Alvarez 12 string spruce top caught my eye.

I had never played a 12 string before...and....well, needless to say I was addicted! I think I played it for about two hours. They are so beautiful! I have recently been in a rut where everything I was playing was giving me deja vu. Playing a 12 string made me rethink the way I was playing and forced me to play in a new style.

Ahhh....I am still remineiscing (?spelling?) about the session.

It was extremely refreshing when I was playing it was a glass slide. I was so enthuasastic that a worker said he was inspired to come and jam along with me. 8)

I was planning on buying a Gibson SG next, but that has been replaced by the guitar I was playing today. 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nothing wrong with a little diversity brutha!!! Get the 12-string and soup up the Ibanez with some meaty pickups and you'll have it all covered! :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah man, I know, that's why I was so sucked in! 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Alvarez really hits the mark with their 12 string guitars. I got one of their jumbo maple-backed 12s and love it. Oddly, I played the 6-string version of the same model and did not like it much. But the 12er has a bright, chimey harp-like tone that is just beautiful. I say go for it!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

whats the deal with everyone at GN getting 12 strings, i'll guess i will have to try one to see whats up.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Same here, Daniel. I noticed that too. I hae never really even been tempted to pull one off the wall at Guitar Center to try it out. I guess the idea of tuning 12 strings turned me off! :lol:

But, I will have to give one a try, next time I hit the guitar store. See what all the fuss is about!

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I tried a couple at a guitar roadshow at work and they sound so good I'd buy one now if Mrs Me let me!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We had family over for dinner last weekend, and three of us play. My girlfriend's son's girlfriend's brother was messing around with my Washburn and we were talking about tunings and voicings, so I said "I've got something you might like" and went to get my 12-string accoustic.

He'd never played one before, and liked it instantly. I was beginning to think I might have to prise it from his cold dead hands to get it back.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@graham)
Eminent Member

For me the 12 string offers a refreshing sound. Fuller, brighter, like there is someone else playing with me.

I don't play very well yet, but I still practice on both the 6 and 12.

It's just a sweet sound that you have to play for yourself.

Case

Graham

'72 Guild D25
'72 Guild A50 Archtop
'87 Guild GF25
'89 Guild JF30
'96 Guild DV-52
'99 Guild JF30-12

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I can't wait to have that beauty in my collection!

Until then.......it's to the guitar store every day.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I tried a couple at a guitar roadshow at work and they sound so good I'd buy one now if Mrs Me let me!

Back up a second there...

Guitar roadshow at work? :shock:

How can I get a job that has events like that? 8)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote