Clear all

fender twin reverb worth it?

33 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thats what im currently shooting for, however i may think that would be too loud.

however i alsoi want soemthing where, i wont ever have to upgrade in terms of amps ever again.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

xSSx

Oh yeah, this is a LOUD amp. It is also a very heavy amp. And it is almost impossible to get this amp to break-up. But many say it is the very best clean amp EVER. #1

Can you use this amp? Sure. But you will need pedals for overdrive or distortion. You could add an attenuator to really crank it.

The only real negative to this amp is the weight. I didn't look it up, but I believe it weighs around 85 lbs. Can you say "Shoulder Seperation"?
It is a real pain to haul around an amp that weighs that much.

This amp is a keeper for sure, but you will still buy more amps. Everybody does.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

xSSx

I went to Fender and looked this up. It is 64 lbs. Still heavy, but not so bad. I must have been thinking of another amp. You are young, 64 lbs. is nothing to you! :D

I don't think you can go wrong with this amp. It is also known for it's fantastic reverb.

Go for it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

That is a great sounding amp. I would buy it if its a good deal and your going to be playing out of the house with it.

Big ol thing to lug around though, you could always go for something in the 15-30 watt range too.

have fun,

dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I actually think it would be a bad thing. The twin is a great amp ofcourse, but I seriously doubt it is the best amp for you. Considering the music you like I would seriously recommend looking at amps with a proper drive channel of themselves. Putting a distortion pedal over a twin is really a waste. Expensive, and doesn't sound nearly as good as a good amp designed for overdriven sounds. A hotrod would be a much better choice, if we stick with Fender amps.

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

accualy putting a pedal to any amp can make the distortion sound a lot better, doesnt matter if its designed for overdrive or not. people say if you add a distortion pedal to the twin, you basically have the amp for the rest of your life.

problem is i wanna have it for home use and outside use. twin reverb might be too loud for home use.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The twin to get your look for would be the one called the Evil twin, that had a High/Low power switch. 100 watts down to 25 watts....Very versatile. Great tones.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Opinion Warning:
I would consider a '57 Twin Reissue, if you are set on a Twin (and willing to spend the bucks), a Vibrolux (a popular amp for club sized surf and country), a Pro Reverb, or a Vibroverb, but a Twin is only if you are looking for a sparkling clean amp at high volume. A pedal in front af a Twin would be a loud amplification of the sound of the pedal with crystal clarity. It better be a damn nice sounding pedal.

With the other amps you would still have a very loud clean that might drive a bit at stage volume. If you are interested in overdrive with a Fender tone, you should also consider a Deluxe Reverb. The Evil Twin would be a great choice, if you find one.

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

well the twin thats in production right now has a switch that switches from 100 watts to 25 watts.

i also have a choice between the hot rod deville, or a peavey classic 50

also are you saying that if i use a boss metal zone with a twin, it wouldn't make much difference?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Using a booster to push a already saturated tube amp over the top is one thing, putting a distortion pedal in front of a twin reverb is another. You'll just end up with the solidstate MT2 sound. Why pay a fortune for that tone? Yes, I know you want a tube amp, yes, you love the Fender logo, and yes, the Twin reverb is a great amp. But I think you'll have to admit to yourself to your favourite artists rarely used the clean tone of a twin reverb. 'There are a billion of amps out there, and in my humble opinion some of those would suit you far better. Both HotRod and Peavey Classic would suit you much better. Don't forget about Mesa, they make far more then tripple rectifiers, Marshall (you want hendrix?), Vox, Orange, Ashdown, Koch, Engl and various other brands.

Really mean no offense, but from what I've read, and heared from you on MSN, going with this amp would be a massive mistake.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I missed that bit about the switch on the current Twins, that's great. I wish more people used that in the clubs.
My concern with the MetalZone would be that there would be little coloration of the sound from the amp itself. The MetalZone wouldn't act much like an overdrive pedal, it would be more like playing it through a great SS amp. If you love the sound of the pedal, you might be pleased, but people often want to use a pedal to interact with the tubes and push them into overdrive. This probably wouldn't be happening at 100 watts, but maybe at 25. You need to give it a try.
Always wanted a Twin, myself, but I'm never going to get a chance to use one properly. You might.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Have you considered a Fender Pro Jr / Peavy Classic 30 or 50

I have a Pro Jr, and the thing is really loud...It has that great tube overdrive sound when you crank the thing. You could play something likes this at home and it would be loud enough to play with others. People are always suprised at how loud this thing is.

If you play in a club you just run it into the PA. The peavy classic series is very nice too. At least with these smaller tube amps you could crank them within a reasonable volume. And forget having one amp for the rest of your life. You will probably have many!!

-dustin

- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

That is a great sounding amp. I would buy it if its a good deal and your going to be playing out of the house with it.

Big ol thing to lug around though, you could always go for something in the 15-30 watt range too.

have fun,

dustin

- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yea maybe ill just go with a peavey classic 50, however does marshall, or any other brands have a tube amp that would suit my style?

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

what if i get like a fender hot rod deville and use it with a ibanez tube screamer? would that give me good crunch?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3