Clear all

fender twin reverb worth it?

33 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

That kind of set up will give you a SRV tone I think. In fact, if I wanted SRV tone, thats exactly what I'd do.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

SRV tone...don't forget the 13+ size strings...haha!

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ska: I think a Hotrod with a booster like the TS9 would give you pretty much all the tones you are after right now. A booster with a used (relatively cheap!) JCM800 might be interesting to you as well.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

xSSx

I think everyone has made good points about the Twin almost being too clean. That is why this is such a popular amp in Country.

The DeVille sounds like the HRD. I've played on both. The DeVille is a little fuller sounding because of the extra speakers, but that is the only difference. If you want to play Classic Rock or Blues, it is the amp for you. I would say it's a great Blues amp without any extras. You wouldn't need any pedals at all really. It will play blues all day long. And it will get great metal with a good pedal.

Marshall has the 40W tube amp if you are into that tone. I have heard these have a few quality issues however.

Another amp we never talk about around here is Carvin. They have the Legacy series designed by Steve Vai. They also have some great combos like the BellAir and Nomad. The other guitar player in my band has an old 65W Carvin (not sure of model) and it is a great sounding amp. Good prices too.

What I think you should do is get 2 amps. A small tube amp you can crank around the house, and a bigger 40-50 watt amp for gigs. This is what I do. I play my little amp at home, and my HRD at practice and gigs.

This way you can always play. Look into a Pro Junior and Blues Junior. Heck, you can play lots of gigs with these alone. Pick up an attenuator so you can crank all of these amps.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i allrrady have 2 amps at home, a 10 watt peavey practice amp, and a 25 watt acoustic amp

so i just need a amp basically for outdoor use, cause as soon as i get something thats gigable with, im taking up some offers for guitarists needed for bands.

so pretty much its between a fender hot rod deville, or a peavey classic 50

with that imma get a vox wah pedal, and an ibanez tube screamer

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Get an attenuator too. I just got the Weber 50W Load Dump and I like it.
About 1/3 the price of other models. Is it as good as the more expensive models? Probably not, but it is good. Very quiet, does not introduce any noise. Some say it takes a little of your high frequencies or sparkle out, I really didn't notice anything. Sounds good to me.

And even when using pure clean you can crank your amp and get the warmth and sustain. You will love that for Blues.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

fill me in on what a attenuater is

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

An attenuator is simply a device that goes inbetween the poweramp and the speaker. It takes part of the signal and turns it into heat. This allows you go crank up both the pre-amp and power-amp stages of your tube amp, but keep your volume low. This is when tube amps sound spectacular. I can tell you from experience, there is a HUGE difference playing my HRD on 1 versus 6. And I am not talking about volume. It is how the amp sounds and plays. When cranked, tube amps get very warm. The tone gets very round and pleasing. You get much more sustain. You can get feedback at will. This is when a tube amp starts to "sing". It is a great thing.

As Joe (Forrok Star) said about a week ago, it is when people say "Holy S--T! How are you getting that sound??" and start looking at your amp trying to figure out your secret.

The DeVille and Classic 50 are very, very loud. Even at most gigs you will not be able to crank the amp into power-tube saturation. At outdoor gigs you will. And you will hear the difference easily.

So that is what an attenuator does. It allows you to crank the amp into saturation, but you are able to turn the volume down. You can even play with saturation at bedroom levels. But the speaker itself is part of the sound as well. So when you can get the volume up a little at gigs, your amp is gonna sing. You will like it. And it works for the clean channel as well as for overdrive or distortion.

Here is the Weber page. Do a little reading and search around for other attenuators as well. But I like the Weber because a poor musician like me can afford it, and it works.

Weber Attenuators

Check out the pic on the page. That kind of shows what it does right there.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Wes, Sounds like your having fun with that new toy. Really does make a difference, don't you think. Wait till you add an Eq forward in the signal path. You be amazed how just a Eq floor pedal or racked can add also. Just by adding or subtracting a few frequencies you can dail up just about anything you can think of. Not to mention the extra dimension.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah Joe. I know to listen to you. Maybe I will get some EQ pedals.

I try to keep it simple though. Most of what I do is geared toward live gigs.
I really need something simple. I sing, so I am stuck to a mic. I can't really walk over to my amp or things like that. I have trouble stepping on a simple stomp box.

I knew all along that amps sound good cranked. Once in awhile I was able to do that at gigs and I could really hear how hot the amp sounded. But that doesn't happen often, most clubs want you to keep it down. I could always tell the amp sounded flatter at low volumes.

Just to tell anyone reading this. An attenuator is not some sort of magic box. And it is not like a distortion pedal. All the red hot sounds you get come from your amp alone. The attenuator just allows you to keep the volume down. But it does not make your amp sound like a different amp. If your amp gets a 70's type distortion, that is what it will continue to get. It will not make a Fender sound like a Marshall. But it brings out the very best in the amp you have.

Joe, how do you set up all these EQ's?

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

the thing is, i wanna have a lot of different tones.

hendrix,srv,randy rhodes, david gilmour type of stuff

the deville, with a tube screamer may give me a hendrix,david gilmour, and srv type tone. but for rnady rhodes, i may need something like a metalzone.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Wes, With an outboard Eq you can even leave it centered or at 0. (I don't know the words to describe it). It will still give you a full and wider sound and tone. I adjust mine to find what works and pretty much leave it set. the adjusting it in real time is far an few between. If I know the next song coming up needs a little boost or cut I do that between songs.

xSkaStyleex, i wanna have a lot of different tones.

There's many different ways of accomplishing that. One would be to use a pre-amp that allows you different voicing, anything from clean to over the top lead. It could be in the form of a Multi-effects floor pedal or a rack mounted one. Either of which can connected into a guitar amp/amps or stereo power amp. Here's an example of a racked tube pre-amp (SGX-2000 Express) in its day some guitar players couldn't really get a handle on it because it had to much stuff. "475 pre-sets". Many guitarist didn't want to spend the time trying to figure things out, they just to Plug and Play, "Like right now~like yesterday". The saying "Real Guitar Players don't read directions"

The ADA Mp-1 or 2 was a basic tube pre-amp that was easy to use. And you'll find these in many pro guitarist racks. We had someone leave off a line 6 XT Pro at the studio for us to play with. It has some great sounds, I haven't spent enough time with it to get my sound and tone from it, I have fun playing around with it anyway when time permits. It also has to much stuff, even more than the Art. The Line 6 does have more of the new sounds everyones looking for. There is also a rack mounted Digitech 2112 that another guitar player leaves so not to carry back and forth to the studio. He has it teamed with a stereo Eq and a Peavey 60/60 tube power amp connected to two 5150 4x12 cabinets. It has all the cool stuff, he gets some great sound. The 2112 has tons of stuff for sounding whatever you imagine.

I've had a couple of the big Multi floor processors over the years, couldn't get what I searching for and moved on. A few years back was handed a Zoom 505 and later a Digitech RP-50 these needed to have to some pre-sets built. These I have used live and worked great. I ran stereo in to two 15 watt solid-state crates and another time I use my old modified Fender bassmen. All the amps where connected to 4x12 cabinets and Miked. The small multi-effects pedals sounded great for an inexpensive pedal. Like the expensive processors they need to dial-ed in for your setup.

Knowing a couple guitarist that use Multi-effect floor pedals., one being a Digitech GNX-3. For him doing a back ground rhythm and singing it works well for the different styles they play. Sounds wee bit thin for me, he may of be using straight factory patches without any tweaking. Another Lead guitarist I know uses a Boss ? (could be the GT-5 or ME-50). I know its blue colored. He's spend many, many hours getting the sound and tone together. Teamed with a Peavey stereo Eq and tube power amp running mono into 1x12 open back cabinet. He flat out (you know what) and gets.

Sorry about the length. Throwing Idea's, that have been tried and worked along with some that didn't.

Leaving you to decide destiny on this Quest.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

If u have the money take a serious look into MESA amps. Thats where im going right now. besides the rectifiers, the Mark series is sick! if u like santana, metallica........or just a creamy but TIGHT responsive distortion and really good cleans, go with the Mark series.

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

actually now that i saw ur other post...hendrix, SRV, and rhodes are all 100% marhsall. ive seen SRV's rigs with jcm800s. rhodes prolly had em too. and hendrix had teh plexi stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

For the David Gilmour tone definitely check out a Big Muff Pi fuzz pedal. It's what he used for a lot of songs, and you can really hear it on "Comfortably Numb". They have it on Musician's Friend.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3