7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hiya

i jus recorded my first guitar solo kinda song
jus got my new electric a few weeks back .. and i found a few backing tracks on the net and started playing ...

plz check out the song in the link below < lies and deceit.mp3 >
and i would love to hear on where i'm goin awry and how i can improve at composing ....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=405184

any advice would be highly appreciated

cheers

(@Anonymous)

Ok, I have never tried to compose a serious electric solo so this is from the point of view as a listener.

Most of what you played sounds good to me (although at 6 mins its a little long!) Did you have a plan for this, or was it improvised? At some points it sounded as if you were not sure where to go next.

Also (this may be intentional on your part) but your low notes seem very distorted and, while the notes flow nicely and your playing is good, at times quite unpleasent to my ears.

I also noticed towards the end (around the 5 min mark) that some notes become flat without a smooth audible transition and back again, almost as if one string was out of tune.

Hope this helps!

Overall a good effort, much better than anything I've done! Look forward to hearing the next :P

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey 10141748

thanx for the takin the time out to hear the whole thing

*) ya the lower notes being distorted is coz of the tone ... i'll use a bettr tone next time ..

*) only the chorus was thought of beforehand ... everything else is improvised ....

i was wondering how do u guys solo .. do u like just play a shape that's in ur head .. or try to get it right beforehand note for note ... i use the former approach .. but sometimes get lost in transition ....

cheers !

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Not bad, not bad at all!

The cons are that your bending was very out of tune, so was your guitar.
The good thing was that you got the melody right. You also didn't play powerfully enough. Try picking harder.

In an answer to your last quiestion, i personally solo as i go, if you know what i mean. I make up the licks as i go in my head, and in a fraction of a second my fingers transpose it into licks, and later a solo.Hope this helps,

Leo. :D

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well mostly I would practice whatever I'm gonna play beforehand. If you haven't practiced and just play what comes into your head you're improvising I guess. Had a book last year that said (although strange) you can practice improvising. I guess its all about knowing what notes are where, what flows well, timings, rythm and style. Even the guitar greats improv stuff is based (loosly) around scales.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

It is true, you do have to practice improvising. You need to know your way around those scales by heart and by fingers, if you know what i mean. One day, you will reach the stage in impovising, where you don't at all think what you are playing, your fingers will do all the job. That is the ultimate stage i guess....

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well..i guess 'Hear Here' maybe the place where the thread should lie..

Between Avichaks...How long you have been playing guitar..i would like to talk to you (maybe on chat ??) about electrics and your processor...
So if you find the time just send me an IM at - 'guitar_delhi_kid' on yahoo messenger.

ReplyQuote