Clear all

First Lesson

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Had my first lesson today. It was pretty fun. He says I know exactly what I want to do with the guitar, and that's good. The biggest thing he noticed is timing. So we spent most of the lesson learning to count and strum. He says he's not concerned with me learning a lot of chords. At least for now anyway.

I have no idea when I'll get another lesson in, it's basically whenever both our schedules are open. But for now, he's got me learning About A Girl by Nirvana to learn strumming and the new chord fingerings.

I also walked out of there with some GAS. My guitar sounded amazing through his amp. So I'm thinking I need a new amp more than a new guitar.

(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Sounds like your gonna start improving a lot in a few weeks, Congrats!

Instead of just buying a new amp why not get a new amp and a new guitar, then you'll have two good sounding guitars?? Just kidding!

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Hey OWA, glad to see all of your searching payed off and you finally found a teacher! Sounds like both of you being willing to be flexible will work out great. Hope the lessons continue to go well.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member

I also walked out of there with some GAS. My guitar sounded amazing through his amp. So I'm thinking I need a new amp more than a new guitar.

Ha! Exactly the same happened to me, and I ended up buying this: http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=33 #

Congrats on the teacher. It's worth taking the time to find someone who works for you. It can just be expensive (as in $10 a lesson and a $500 amp expensive :shock: :) ).

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Excellent news! Glad you found someone and sounds like he understands where you are coming from.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Great! A good teacher is like a good coach -- she'll help you realize your full potential, build on your strength and remedy your weaknesses and keep you motivated.

I hope you get to another lesson soon. I think lessons are a great deal of fun.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great news OWA. A teacher will be able to see/hear things that you may not, and also share their learning experiences with you. Glad it's working out. Try to get a couple of lessons in each month & work on the stuff you've learned in the meantime.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Congratz, sounds like you found a teacher that really fits your needs, I think thats a huge hurdle, so many people have a hard time working that out.

Good luck with the lessons!

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

A teacher you like makes all the difference, it makes taking lessons fun, not a chore.

Hope you can control yourself so you don't end up playing guitar on sidewalks for change :lol:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all.

Nice thing is he tries to find songs and music that I like to teach. We went through a few songs before settling on About A Girl being the best thing to teach timing.

He also showed me how to do flamenco on an electric guitar. That was really cool.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Good to hear OWA! I hope he will put you in the direction you want to go in. I may try a teacher in te next few months...my progress has been going good lately but I am always game for something new!

On a side note OWA: I have ALWAYS been meaning to ask you this question: Is that YOU in your avatar? (Sorry if you answered this question before :oops: )

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Mike.

If you mean the animated avatar, no, it's the singer of Kittie.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Great to hear about you taking lessons, OWA.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote