First Shows

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

So my band is about to release a new EP (6 tracks) in about a week or three. We are trying to develop a local following so we need to start getting good shows that are well attended (we plan on promoting our asses off for it). My only problem is getting the good shows with good bands. I'm not totally sure how the process of acquiring gigs goes. I have played out some but most of the gigs just fell into our laps and were never all that well attended (save a few). We don't have the good contacts that I feel we need to get good shows. I'm willing to go out there and make those contacts though. I really just want to get those good gigs with established local artists to start developing some local fanbase. I'm sort of at a loss to what my first move should be.

Thanks,

Izzy

aka Izabella

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

By the way,

we already do have a bit of a local following and it is fairly sporadic. We really just didn't gig our last EP that much mainly because i was too timid to get the gigs. It seems to be my point that i really need to work on. I just need some help. Thanks.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm sort of at a loss to what my first move should be.

Get a manager. Or at the very least, employ the services of someone who isn't too timid (as you put it) to hustle for gigs, etc. Band members have enough to worry about - songs, lyrics, arrangements, rehearsals, performance etc etc - without taking on the added burden (and time-consuming task) of looking for work as well.

Hey Izzy, long time no see - good to see things are heading in the right direction for you!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hiya Izzy! :D Good to see you here again!

What Vic said is good advice. I used to hustle gigs for several bands. I used to average between $50 & $75 for each gig I got them (my pay depended on how much I got them paid). It's not much, but it added up when I was booking 5 or 6 bands regularly. And I kept them working as much as possible! Just make sure it's someone you can trust, sit down with that person and the whole band to determine how much you're willing to play for and how little you're not willing to play for. Put together a sampler CD of the band (4 or 5 songs is usually enough), along with a band photo (a short bio of the band on the back of the photo wouldn't hurt a thing, either!). If you come across as professionals you're more likely to be treated as professionals.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Izabella,

I see you are in Seattle. I don't know how old you are, but the Vera Project ( http://www.theveraproject.org/ ) is available for teens in the arts (music, etc...). I hear they have very good resources. Even if you are not a teen, you might give them a call and see if they have any tips.

Wander over to some music stores like Trading Musician or Guitarville and see if any of the employees are musicians :D. Offer to treat them to a cup of coffee in exchange for some tips/pointers/resources. That's worth a try.

Best of luck to you and let me know where you are gigging. I'm a little on the mature side (47), but I'm in Kirkland and like getting out to a show every now and then. If you do all-ages shows, I'll point my teenage daughters at your myspace page and see if they would be interested too.

ReplyQuote