Clear all

Flats

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm wanting to try a set of flatwounds. I generally play 10-46 rounds. I've always played roundwounds for that matter. Was thinking about trying a set of 10-48 DaDDario flatwound chromes just to check em out. The 10-48 flats are called their extra light set. Any suggestions on what guage flatwounds a 10-46 roundwound player should try out? For starters, would you recommend I go with a larger guage or try the 10-48 flats?

Thanks

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Try anything you want, you'll get a different sound out of anything you try, you have to find your own preference. I prefer very thick strings but you might not... Experiment with a couple different kinds untill you find what you're looking for

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. I know you have to experiment to find what you like. I've gone through loads of strings myself getting to the few types I like the best. What I'm really looking for opinions on is finding a starting point .... basically asking whether a transition from roundwounds to flats would be easiest by starting with a similiar guage flatwound as the rounds that I usually play?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

In that case then I would say that would be a good starting point, I might suggest a slightly thicker gauge because the the flatwounds do sound slightly duller than the rounds

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. They are more expensive than most of the strings I buy so I didn't want to buy several sets only to turn around and either not like them at all or end up having only one set that I like. Problem is, I have to mail order them because the only shops close to me carry next to nothing otherwise I'd just try them one at a time. I think I'll try a set of the 10-48's and take your suggestion and also get a set of the next guage up, 11-50's or 11-52's I think.
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't buy too many in case you don't like them and mail order doesn't take very long to arrive anyway.
I tried a new set of strings not long ago. I disliked them so much that I took them off after only 3 days.

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I agree. Just 2 sets, 2 different guages. If I don't like them I'm out less than $20 with the shipping. Two sets, one of each guage should let me know whether I like the general feel and sound of flats or not or whether I think they have some postential for me.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As you go with heavier gauges -- esp switching to flats, you will be able to lower the action (remember to check your relief since string tention will be hihger). This makes it surprisingly easy to play the heavier gauged flats. Bending will be tougher though.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Wow. Well boy do I feel like a noob. I didn't even know they made flatwounds for guitar, I've only played them on bass. :oops:

Same kind of effect though? Instant reduction of all definition, no grip? Is there any difference in the unwound strings?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks gnease, for the input. Do you know why the flats are usually heavier guage than the Rounds? ie. A roundwound set of 10-46's would be called mediums by most manufacturers. But 11-50 flats are called lights ... medium flats are more like 13-56's or similiar. What is about the rounds vs flats that account for this? Why are flats generally available in larger guages than rounds? Very generally speaking, would a player who plays both types generally play a heavier guage flat set than they would their round sets? Again, I know individuals are individuals, but just generally speaking.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

What are the diffreces between flat and round wound :?:

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

What are the diffreces between flat and round wound :?:

If they're like they are for a bass, it looks like they got wrapped in the usual round way, and then put through a lathe to make the string perfectly uniform in it's roundness, no ridges at all.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

are you sure your not mixing up electric and acoustic strings?
10s in an electric are about a medium but in an acoustic are extra light.
the 13s would be a medium size acoustic string.

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No, I'm talking electric. Depends on the manufacturer, some call Roundwound 10-46's a light, some call them a medium and some a regular. Most probably consider them a medium or regular. I'm looking at some of my 10-46 sets right now from Fender, GHS, DR . Fender and DR calls them regulars and GHS calls them Lights.

Flatwounds are different. There are very few if more than a couple of flatwound sets lighter than 10-46. I think La Bella makes a 9's set. Most every one calls their 10-46 flatwound set, extra light. 11 flatwounds are usually called lights. 12's are medium, or medium lights, again, depending on the manufacturer.

Check out the websites of GHS, DaDarrio, TI, SIT, La Bella .... and other companys that make both roundwound and flatwound strings and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thanks gnease, for the input. Do you know why the flats are usually heavier guage than the Rounds? ie. A roundwound set of 10-46's would be called mediums by most manufacturers. But 11-50 flats are called lights ... medium flats are more like 13-56's or similiar. What is about the rounds vs flats that account for this? Why are flats generally available in larger guages than rounds? Very generally speaking, would a player who plays both types generally play a heavier guage flat set than they would their round sets? Again, I know individuals are individuals, but just generally speaking.

Thanks

I'm not really sure, though it may be purely historical. Very light electric gauges are a newer innovation from sometime in the sixties, maybe even early seventies. Flatwounds were originally used on archtop acoustics, whose total design goal was to create a really loud guitar able to match the volume of a band with horns, piano etc. It would not have made sense to sell a light string for this type of guitar, as the volume would suffer. The first electrified guitars were archtops. So it makes sense that the gauges of flats would more closely match those of an acoustic guitar. However, this just my speculation. The real explanation might be different.

The tone of flatwound is very different than that of roundwounds. Flats have a much louder, thumpier attack that really cuts through, but also has little sustain. This is considered desirable for jazz, some blues, rockabilly and surf. Think about that thumpy driving bass and/or mellower tones of the center strings in these styles -- part of that tone is due to the flatwounds.

I put flats on my semi-hollow electric (Reverend Slingshot) for a while, but eventually switched back because the tone and bending tension wasn't working for me -- at least on that guitar. If I ever pick up a full bodied hollow or semi, I will probably use flats on it to help get that characteristic mellow sound.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2