Clear all

How do you tune a 12-string?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I know, I've asked this question before....about 12 months ago, I bought a 12-string for £30 but I sold it two days later for £80, before I'd even had a chance to put new strings on...

Anyway I treated myself to an Avalanche 12-string today...it's already got D'Addario's on, but I got a spare set anyway.....

But someone's going to have to tell me how to tune it in.....think it was Noteboat last time.....don't be mad at me Tom!!!!

Also bought a Freshman bass....and just looking at the label on the Avalanche, it says on there "By Freshman".....anyone heard good/bad things about this company? I have to admit, I've never heard of them before today....but I was really impressed with them (er...that's why I bought them!!!!)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Nah, it wasn't me... I did post a joke about 12 strings once, though:

Q: How long does it take to tune a 12 string guitar?

A: Nobody knows yet

They're a pain. The neck is under a lot more stress from the strings (we're talking 300-400 pounds of tension), so as you get one in tune, the ones you've already done go flat.

The four bass 'courses' (the name for string pairs) are tuned in octaves - the two highest courses are tuned in unison.

Lots of 12 string players tune down a whole step to D-G-C-F-A-D, and use a capo on the 2nd fret - it lessons the tension quite a bit.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

For standard tuning, it really isnt that hard.

The lowest pair of strings are each tuned to E, the thicker one is one octave lower that the thin one in the pair. Tune the thick one like you would any other guitar, then hold the 12th fret on that, use this to tune the thin one. Do this for the next 3 pairs. The last two pairs (highest notes) are tuned like any other guitar. Both of the strings in each pair should be the same note.

Good luck! If you have an electronic tuner it will go allot quicker, just make sure the first 4 pairs are one octave (12 frets) higher that the other.

If it's a very high quality 12 string then standard tuning should be fine, but I still recommend D-G-C-F-A-D tuning with the capo for all 12 string guitars, if you don't do this then your neck will eventually bend and u dont want that :)

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

:D :D :D ...........

But I think that joke should've read, "How long does it take to change the strings on a 12-string....."

OK....so if I tune the "normal" strings to E A D G B E.....the extra strings should be E A D G (all an octave higher) and B and E tuned the same as normal?

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

yep, strings 9 and 10(B) are the same, and strings 11 and 12(E) are the same

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks people.....seems like the DGCFAD tuning is the one to use then....

:) :) :)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

it's what I use on mine, I've had it for about 3 years without any troubles... just bout a dean markley magnetic pickup for it, it's sweeeeet :lol:

ReplyQuote