Notifications
Clear all

Formal musical education

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The requirements vary. I'm sure the audition to get into Julliard would be tough too, but I can't see where most schools would be like that; maybe the very top rated ones because, basically, they can afford to be choosey because of brand recognition/school reputation. But no one should be discouraged by the entry requirements of these few, and therefore never try to get into one of the many, other, fine colleges around.

My two cents

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Those are some pretty steep requirements! My goodness! But like you said, Kent, that is one of the better music programs in an entire nation. I think you're average music program isisn't quite that competative. I know for sure, that the music department where I go has intro classes where you can start, even if you have never played a note on any instrument before. But we're a research university, not a music conservatory, so I think that makes quite the difference. Wouldn't it be great though, to good enough to get into and study music at a place like Bradon? That would have to be quite the experience!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've sent an email to the head of the department and asked him the terrific questions that have been posed here. I expect a response but I doubt that there will be any entry requirements here. This is just a little community college where I am going to be going. Atleast for the first couple years.

Update

Got a reply back. Very nice people there. There is no audition. This school stresses alot of theory and performace. He said that while I would be behind a little it is nothing to stress over and a little determination will get me through. He invited me to come and talk to him in person, WHICH I believe I will do this week.

Thanks for all the wonderful and helpful posts. Its been very encouraging.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Those are some pretty steep requirements! My goodness! But like you said, Kent, that is one of the better music programs in an entire nation. I think you're average music program isisn't quite that competative.
Most of the grads from Brandon U that I know are teaching, as well as being very in-demand for gigs. 2 of them went straight from graduation to playing in professional symphony orchestras.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2