Notifications
Clear all

freestyle fingerpicking patterns?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kent0609mu)
Topic starter  

do u need to copy on how the player plucks the strings when imitating a cover?

or did the player did his/her own plucking pattern when he did the video?

right now im imitating sungha's tears in heaven cover.. do i need to copy his plucking pattern too?

thanks.

(@alangreen)

What I say to my students is that if you are going to copy every single note and inflexion slavishly, then go join a tribute band.

To a large extent, copying the finger patterns is up to you. There is always room for interpretation; it's what gives music its soul.

There is also room for capital letters, correct English and proper use of apostrophes. Sometimes you have to follow some basic rules.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent0609mu)
Topic starter  

What I say to my students is that if you are going to copy every single note and inflexion slavishly, then go join a tribute band.

To a large extent, copying the finger patterns is up to you. There is always room for interpretation; it's what gives music its soul.

There is also room for capital letters, correct English and proper use of apostrophes. Sometimes you have to follow some basic rules.

Thank you for your answer sir.

Tribute band?---sorry for the ignorance sir.

And oh, I'm very sorry about that, I can speak English but not very well and I'm still learning it.

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

A tribute band attempts to exactly copy another band. They play nothing but that band's music in their shows. They usually dress like that band, and often will refer to themselves as the members of the band they are paying tribute to.

I saw a Van Halen tribute band that looked and sounded more like Van Halen than the actual band has in years. They were called The Atomic Punks. I highly recommend them.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

do u need to copy on how the player plucks the strings when imitating a cover?

or did the player did his/her own plucking pattern when he did the video?

right now im imitating sungha's tears in heaven cover.. do i need to copy his plucking pattern too?

thanks.

I would definitely not copy it exactly. Put a bit of yourself into it and add your own flavour to it. :D

ReplyQuote