From My B Barre Cho...

Notifications
Clear all

From My B Barre Chord Thread...

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I had posted this as part of a reply in my thread on the B Barre Chord. However I feel it should be in it's own thread...so here it is...
The reason for my emotional outburst yesterday saying that I suck is because I feel like I don't have any direction after almost 4 months of playing. I made such quick progress early on and now that progress is at a crawl. This is really frustrating me. Yes I am trying more "advanced" (meaning harder stuff) so I know it should be more difficult but I never thought it would effect what I already knew. Lately I have been practicing the things I should have from the beginning (hammer-on's/pull-offs, barre chords, a TINY bit of metronome work, a TINY bit of scale work). I thought this stuff would improve my playing...it seems to have diminished what I already knew. I felt if I didn't start practicing these skills my progress would "fall behind".

I can't get a teacher because a) I can't afford it now, and b) I don't have time during the school year to go regularly to make it worth while). I just want to get back on track. How can I re-establish direction with my playing? (I am kind of hoping some of the "teachers" here will provide some guidence...not that I won't welcome advice from anyone.)...What would you have your students do if this issue arose.

Original Thread

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've been playing for about 12 years now and i'll tell you, there are a LOT of ups and downs. i've been truly satisfied with my playing for maybe three or four weeks IN TOTAL. it's a frustrating thing to try to master.
but don't let it get to you, and don't quit. your old song maybe don't sound as good to you now because you're not practicing them as much, but then again maybe it's just that your ears are getting better and your expectations of yourself are getting higher. i bet when you first learn a song, you'll play it ten times a day, and now you're playing it twice a week.
keep pushing yourself to learn newer and harder songs, but don't stop learning the easy stuff just because it's easy. you have to build and constantly reinforce the foundations of your knowledge, and knowing many easy songs will help you in the future when you decide to write your own songs..

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

I was right there a couple months ago, and now things are bright again.

One thing I did was to focus on what I am really bad at, such as the F chord, funk rhythm, complex strumming--there is so much I could just start anywhere! I make sure to focus on what I suck at for at least 20 minutes a day, more when I get the time. Then, I take a break, visit the forums, maybe go get a beer, then come back and just mess around with what I think sounds good. I do that all the time that I am at home.

I have found that I "stall" a lot less frequently, and things that seem unrelated all fall together.

As far as lessons go, there are great ones on here, as I am sure you know. Have you tried PGS? http://www.learnguitar.net/ I got a membership for my birthday, and I really enjoy it. You can move at your own pace, and I tell my "teachers" where I am at and the music I like and they taylor my lessons to that. They have really good videos on the site, too, that have helped me a lot. And it is cheaper than one lesson from a person IRL (which I am going to do, too).

If all else fails, put the guitar down for a few days and don't even think about it. Then , when you pick it up again you'll be amazed at your progress. Sounds weird, but that is what happened to me. I had to go out of town several months ago, convinced I suck at guitar, and didn't even look at one for almost a week. When I got back, I picked one up and Lo! suddenly my chord changes were smooth, the chords rang perfectly, and even my strumming was better.

Never forget that you are your own worst critic (we all are), and that sometimes you just have to give yourself a break!

If you want, PM me and I'll give you some of the lesson material I got from PGS. Maybe that'll help.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

I have been playing 33 years and I still suck. :cry:

But that is how I feel today, ask me tomorrow and I'll tell you I am great.

That's how guitar is. It plays with your mind a lot.

Anything that takes skill will mess with your mind like this. Everybody knows Tiger Woods is the best golfer in the world. But I have seen him hit it in the woods, ponds, the rough... I have seen him throw his clubs down in disgust. It's part of the game.

If you are gonna be a guitar player you better get used to it. There is no escape from this roller coaster. Believe me, I know from much experience.

I am glad guitar is difficult for many reasons. First of all, if anybody could do it, there would be nothing special about it. I think it is wrong to brag, but I am proud to be a guitar player (or any musical instrument). Musicians are a tough breed. You don't wanna mess with a musician, they don't give up easily. :evil:

If guitar was easy it would be boring. Guitar never gets boring. There is always something new to learn. You can always improve. So it is challanging and exciting forever. I love this.

As for that pesky B chord, do what I do, CHEAT. Once you have been playing a long time you will realize good guitar players cheat all the time.

First, I rarely play all six strings. Man, that is a lot of work. It makes my little fingers tired. :D

No, I usually just play three or four strings max. You think you would know the difference? You wouldn't.

So, you gotta be a little smart about guitar. Make it as easy as possible for yourself. When people see you it will look so easy. Because it is.

B is tough at first. Try this fingering that several suggested. It is pretty easy.

e--2i--------
b--4p--------
g--4r--------
d--4m-------
a--2i--------
e--2i--------

But you know how I play it? I cheat.

e---X---------
b---X---------
g---4p---------
d---4r---------
a---2i---------
e---2i---------

Yep, that's the way. And you will not know the difference.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

First, I rarely play all six strings. Man, that is a lot of work. It makes my little fingers tired. :D

No, I usually just play three or four strings max. You think you would know the difference? You wouldn't.

So, you gotta be a little smart about guitar. Make it as easy as possible for yourself. When people see you it will look so easy. Because it is.

B is tough at first. Try this fingering that several suggested. It is pretty easy.

e--2i--------
b--4p--------
g--4r--------
d--4m-------
a--2i--------
e--2i--------

But you know how I play it? I cheat.

e---X---------
b---X---------
g---4p---------
d---4r---------
a---2i---------
e---2i---------

Yep, that's the way. And you will not know the difference.

Wes thanks for the advice...That's kind of why I asked that question. In the back of my mind I knew it's part of the trade. I have the same problem teaching...one day I feel like the Teacher of the Year and the next day I feel like I have no clue what to do...

I guess I am just looking for a little kick in the %ss!

As for your "easy" fingering of the B barre...I am sure that will work great for strumming but the song I am learning is fingerpicking (Memories of Us by Keith Urban) and I need the individual notes...I really don't think there will be around it...Thanks for the alternate version though...it will come in handy for those fast chord changes during rhythms!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

i cheat as well...play all A shape barres with a double barre, ie for B I put the barre across the second fret with my index finger, then barre the D G and B strings with my ring finger....just take care not to hit the top E string,,,,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

i cheat as well...play all A shape barres with a double barre, ie for B I put the barre across the second fret with my index finger, then barre the D G and B strings with my ring finger....just take care not to hit the top E string,,,,

:D :D :D

Vic

I am not sure if you read my original thread vic...I am having problems with the double barre due to a hand injury many years ago...however I am working on this one but using the pinkie...it's cleaner but difficult to hold.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

I don't know that song myself. Is it possible it was only played on the bottom four strings?

e--2i-----
b--4p-----
g--4r-----
d--4m----
a--X------
e--X------

This form is fairly easy to hold.

The guitar player may have used a capo at the 2nd fret and just held a common A chord as well.

All I was trying to say is that it is ok to cheat. If fact, it is smart to cheat. Cheat as much as possible. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here is a picture of the tab...:

It looks like I will need the full barre...

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

As for your "easy" fingering of the B barre...I am sure that will work great for strumming but the song I am learning is fingerpicking (Memories of Us by Keith Urban) and I need the individual notes

I don't know the song, but I "cheat" at fingerpicking as well. Except with many songs it is not only impossible to tell, it is literally makes no difference. It is quite possible that all of the notes in the B chord are not used in the fingerpick. If not dicscard the ones you don't need. Check what notes you need and try to come up with an alternate fingering for those notes.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Well I was writing while you were posting and that is exactly what I meant.
You can play that without fingering a B.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

You do not need the full barre. You can play it two ways.

Easiest

e----------
b--4p-----
g--4r-----
d--4m----
a--2i-----
e---------

The tab did not show any notes on either the high or low E strings. So don't finger them.

Or

e------------
b---4r-------
g---4r-------
d---4r-------
a---2i-------
e------------

OK, this uses a little mini barre with your ring finger. But again, you do not have to worry about the high and low E strings. Forget about them completely. It does not matter if you touch them or not. They are not part of the song.

It should be a little easier to hold just four strings than six. This proves my point completely. This guitarist is cheating just like I do.

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

I'm only a beginner and I cheat, too!

When I play the F I either barre the second fret and use the E shape, or I just don't play the top two strings if I am in a hurry. And it always seems to sound fine. I just figured that out today and my GF came in and complimented me on my improvement! AWESOME!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Is there a "cheating" thread? I'd love to know more stuff like that. I am serious about my technique, but it's great to be able to jumpstart things when learning s cool song....

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

One thing that I might have not made clear is that you do not have to barre with your index finger whatsoever to play that chord. Just use the tip of your index to play the B note on the 5th string. Then use the tips of your other fingers to play the other notes.

The index finger touches the A string ONLY.

NO BARRE NEEDED!

Moai

Maybe I really shouldn't say cheating. It is not cheating at all. It is simply making playing as simple and easy as possible. This song by Mike is a perfect example. It is difficult for most guitar players to hold a full barred B chord at the 2nd fret. But if you do not need every single note on each string, then find an easier way to play just the strings and notes you need to play.

So, it is not cheating, I just called it that. It is playing smart.

It doesn't matter how another guitarist might play. Yes, there are traditional fingerings. But everyone's hands are different. Sometimes you have to find your own individual way to play something. This is never wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Well you can definatley learn to use the pinke. I can play the A Barre any way I want, but using the pinkie to do a mini barre is the most natural way for me. But on the other hand I broke my ring finger when I was younger(like 10 years ago) and for about a year and a half I could not do the ring barre without pain. Now I can do it no problem and I dont think my finger healed after 10 years. My only advice is to keep trying the ring barre while you learn another way to play it, and also it might be a technique thing so move your hand around and see if you can get more comfortable.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2