Frustrating Hot Sunday Barre Chord Blues

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Last Sunday morning picked up the guitar for a half hour practice as usual. Nothing went right, my playing was bad. Kept deadening strings, buzzing strings etc etc. Yep I'd been trying barre chords again on the hottest Sunday of the year. Don't think I'll ever get them right. I was frustrated as hell!

Anyway, Trish my wife was at work as usual serving the consumer hungry people at the shop she manages. (their all crazy!! No not Trish the consumers)

So I know! put the guitar down, pour a cold beer and do the ironing. (Maybe I'm the crazy one) Put on a CD! Hmmm which one? I know `Harvest Moon' Neil Young.

Wow!!! I've had that CD years now and I still love it. Neil your the reason I play acoustic guitar. I felt a whole lot better, the windows were open, the back door was open. Well it was hot, the neighbours won't mind. The ironing was finished in no time, so was the beer!

I guess the message in this is, keep trying while your learning and if it gets too hard listen to your hero's. The inspiration will be rekindled and you will pick up that guitar again! And I did!

I can't do barres yet but I know I'll surprise myself one day!

Enough from me,

Cheers all

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i know exactly what you mean. somedays, i think, yaaa i was mean't for this, and somedays, it's " god please don"t let me smash my guitar" 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I feel your pain on the barre chords. I finally just decided to quit rushing it, and work on them 15-20 minutes every time I pick up the guitar, then move on to something else. I figure it'll come once I eventually build up finger strength in that finger.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Try an open tuning while learning barre chords. Just the barre by itself makes the chord and once you have the bar down you can work into standard tuned barre chords

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

dogsbody

Nice post. I had to laugh a little.

Neil Young was a big inspiration to me too. I figured if he could sing like that and be popular I could too! :D

And that's the whole thing about Neil. He just strums his guitar and sings. I really don't think he tries to impress anybody. And he doesn't try to be like anybody. He doesn't play 32nd notes. But he's great!

So play those home chords and sing how you feel just like Neil. Those barre chords will come in time.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

A few puffs on a spliff seems to sharpen my focus and fix any bad-playing days. It was with the help of the good Mary J that I practiced switching from open to barre chords for a whole hour and finally got it.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You'll get there eventually Chris....just practise barres every time you pick the guitar up....they WILL come!!!!

Hell, I managed to get all the way through "Come Together" in the pub last night (cue sickening, smug, self-satisfied smirk....) without cocking it up once....MAJOR achievement!!!!!

Keep at it mate.....

:) :) :)

Vic

PS - If you've got a Status Quo CD, try playing along with that....worked for me!!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

hiya Chris!

I know the feeling. All too well i am afraid....

Also share your love of that album, just fantastic isn't it.

Keep trying mate, it will come.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for the encouragement:
I'll keep trying I promise!

Vic,

I used to have Piledriver on vinyl. Contained "Caroline" I think. Sadly lent out to friends and lost.

My all time favorite Quo number has to be "Down Down Deeper and Down" though. When I get the barres sussed I'll try it out.

Well done in the pub with "Come Together" mate. I wish Newton-Le-Willows was closer. I'd pop up there one night to be a fly on the wall and listen! And, of course buy the band pint.

Wes, Matt,

Yeah that Harvest Moon album, every track on it I find more to love each time I listen to it. I don't think there is a better Neil Young album.

Thanks again all

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

A few puffs on a spliff seems to sharpen my focus and fix any bad-playing days. It was with the help of the good Mary J that I practiced switching from open to barre chords for a whole hour and finally got it.

Maybe recomending drug usage isn't the best advice to give.

Nice story dogsbody, keep working at it, and they will come, out of no where it'll happen.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Yeah Taso.

After all, Mr Clapton's never indulged has he

cough cough..... 8)

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yeah Taso.

After all, Mr Clapton's never indulged has he

cough cough..... 8)

All the best

Matt

Smoking cigarettes was regarded as cool, in those days - opinions change - just those of the aforementioned Mr Clapton have.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Indeed, although Ciggerates are different than weed.

Either way, idk if you heard, but Clapton actually started a center for drug users, to help them quit and get over their addictions.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Chris....the big hit single from "Piledriver" was "Paper Plane"...it was their first big hit single on the Vertigo label, all their earlier stuff was on the Pye label...

The original hand-written lyrics to "Caroline" though are in the Cavern Pub (across the road from the Cavern Club in Matthew Street) in Liverpool - you should be able to zoom in close enough to read them here.....

and here's a couple more pics you might like to see...remember when Macca played the Cavern back in 99? And Dave Gilmour played lead?

some Bo Diddley stuff.....

And I can absolutely guarantee that this one'll have Musenfreund drooling...

What would you give to get your hands on those babies!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ah Vic,

You know how to make a grown man cry.

I don't know about Musenfriend drooling, what about me! yeah would I ever like to get my hands on those babies. To see them first hand would be enough though.

I've got photo's of them in a brilliant book `The Beatles Gear' which I cannot recommend highly enough. It has detailed research on all the Beatles instrumentation and amplification. It isn't the same as being inches away from the real things though.

You've got it all up there. I didn't even know there was a Cavern Pub.

That pilgrimage of mine has to be made!!!

Cheers mate

drool drool

Chris.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2