Clear all

G-DEc - Love or Hate???

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I received a Fender G-DEC as a gift. I'm trying to determine if I like it or not. I break away from the norm when I say that I hate the way it sounds. I also hate the interface. (I don't have all day to fiddle with settings)

The thing I like about it is that I can feed the amp backing tracks and play with it.

Is there anything else out there that I can run backing tracks through, but does not have the alwful sound and user interface of the G-DEC? I just might do a trade in.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

almost all the reviews i've read have been positive but i have no clue :?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

That is supposed to be a decent sounding amp. Maybe you just need to find the right combination to get the sound you like. However, if you don't like the interface you may never take the time to get the right sound.

Was this a gift from someone who would not mind you trading it in? Basically any amp with a CD input will let you feed in backing tracks etc.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

nils: the G-dec has a build in MIDI computer to feed them MIDI backings, so you can change tempo and stuff like that. Pretty nifty, but nothing a basic pc with a MIDI program can't do.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

nils: the G-dec has a build in MIDI computer to feed them MIDI backings, so you can change tempo and stuff like that. Pretty nifty, but nothing a basic pc with a MIDI program can't do.
I noticed that after I opened my mouth (keyboard) :oops: and went and read more about it. Sounds pretty neat.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I guess the "I hate the way it sounds" part is pretty vague. What I dislike about the sounds are the same things I dislike about my Line 6. That digital sound. The emptiness. This is particularly evident on anything with distortion, and regarless of which guitar I plug in. It just sounds fake. Don't know quite how to put it.

Perhaps I'm holding the sound standard too high? Perhaps. This is a practice amp. A toy, so to speak.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mushin)
Eminent Member

I also have a GDec and was recently reading up on it to look into getting rid of some of the messy sounds. Check out the GDEC Posse thread at the Fender Forum pages

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=473865

Cheers

Mick

ReplyQuote
(@aaronj)
Eminent Member

I have a G-DEC and I really like it...the only issue I HAD with it was that I had trouble getting a nice clean sound with an acoustic. I just played with the settings until I found the sound I wanted and saved it. Now its great IMO

Get Spotted Now!
www.InstantSpot.com

AJLCOM

ReplyQuote
(@aaronj)
Eminent Member

Here is a little improv I did to the one of the presets on the G-DEC.

Improv to one of the Blues settings on the GDEC

edit: Also, please forgive the playing. I first picked up a guitar one year ago in July...so bear with me. :lol:

Get Spotted Now!
www.InstantSpot.com

AJLCOM

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I have a Peavey Classic at home but use a GDEC during my lessons - My instructor plays the backing track or drum sequence to help teach timing and rythm 8)

I like the GDEC's interface functions :)

BS

ReplyQuote
(@aaronj)
Eminent Member

I like the interface too, by the way.

Get Spotted Now!
www.InstantSpot.com

AJLCOM

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, that interface. I guess considering it really is a software product, it isn't too bad. I'm old. I like knobs. Funnny thing is, I am a software engineer. You'd think I was all about the tech interface.

Mushin, I checked out that forum as well as another. A lot of information. Thanks for the tip. It appears that I'm getting bit bu two things. It was marketed for kids, hence the really high distortion/gain and the noise gate is set low. I'll fiddle with these tonight and report back.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The thing I REALLY like about the G_Dec is for noobie amp users you can pick a certain sound say Think Pink and see what parametwers you need to get that sound rather than screwing around and getting nowhere near it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, so I'm a bit late. Was out of town. I messed around with it again tonight, taking the advice to crank down the distortion. It made things better. Not great, but better. As such, being that it is a practice amp/toy and it is pretty fun to mess around with, I'm keeping it.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Time for an update. I got some new cables recently. Monsters. I am reporting that it made this amp even better. Apparently, the cheapos that I have been using was sending some crappy interference (or something) to the amp and it could not handle it well.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2