39 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

/whine on
Well, its pay day and for the past two or three paydays I have been wanting to go out and buy a Behringer Ultra acoustic amp for my Ovation I bought a few months ago.

Problem is, that I only play by myself and so there is no need for me to have an amp. I can hear myself just fine. I would like to play with others, and there has been some talk with co-workers but I dont know that I want to spend $300 on an off chance that we might get together. The other hand is that without an amp, I wont get to play with the others.

What to do, what to do...

/whine off

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I can't tell you what to do but I can help with why :!:

Actually maybe I can't but there is one important fact and that is that you will never know how good that Ovation sounds until you plug it in. The Ovation is my opinion sounds pretty decent unplugged but no where near as good as it does plugged in.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

You can never have to much gear :D

I just bought an acoustic amp for my Carvin. However this guitar is really an electric - acoustic guitar as the body thickness is ~ 2" and the guitar does not have a loud voice. I bought the Marshall AS50R as this model sounded real good with both my Carvin and nylon string guitar.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Follow the law of GAS and buy it. Either way, if you don't use it, it will look nice in your living room, and it will become something to help decorate other rooms for a bit of sophistication

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Well, if you want it, you must pay the piper.

The alternative would be to buy a cheaper amp. I have one of those $99 Ibanez acoustic amps that I bought off of ebay hardly use for 25% the cost of a new one. It works fine for me here in the house.

If you must have the better amp and cash is short.........patience will show you one day a good used amp on ebay for a savings.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Buy the amp before you need it. Then when you do play out or with others, you will have already spent the time learning to use it properly and to best effect with your particular guitar. This will pay off in that you will be able enjoy the playing experience, instead of incessently tweaking your amp in search of a decent sound.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tehuti)

I was in much the same situation a couple of years ago with my Dean Performer acoustic and I ended up getting a Dean acoustic amp that I had my eye on. It was about half the price of the one you're looking at, and like you, I didn't expect to use it much. But I didn't want to be in a position where I would need one and not have it. So I went for it.

If it's a question of $$ maybe you could get something less expensive for those just-in-case situations when you do get to play with others.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That is one funny title for your thread. Is the pun intended?? :D

Notice that everybody says buy it? What else do you expect guitar players to say?

I say buy it too. 8)

You'll use it. And I also think that guitar amps make for beautiful furniture.

Impresses folks too!

Go for it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yeah just buy it! You may not need it now....but you will grow into it and you may try hard to grow into it faster once you have it!

TOYS help with motivation!

I have my Harley on the market and I have to roll some of that cash into my guitar hobby or it will be gone forever.

So, I don't need an $1,100 american fender strat in aged cherry or a fender blues junior........but I have to buy them while I can and I will grow into them.

I was going to ask here on the site how such a sorry beginner could justify such a purchase and that I am not worthy of a real guitar or amp........but I KNOW EVERYONE WOULD SAY TO JUST BUY THEM!

Then maybe I will stop 'collecting' cheap, old, used guitars that need work from ebay! My wife is starting to complain the livingroom is starting to look like a music studio with all the guitar hangers I am screwing to the beams!! But I love them all, cheap or not!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

LOL Yes the pun was intended. Well, I did decide to go ahead and get it (Based on the reaction here) However that was a couple weeks ago. The day that I was going to go pick it up, the girlfriends car broke down and I felt the need to help her get it fixed. So, next paycheck comes up and before I can get it the ex-wife cons me into paying a bill that is actually hers to pay. Stupid me.

Not to bore you with my pathetic life there is a lesson to be learned.

YOUNG GUITARIST!! STAY AWAY FROM THE OPPOSITE GENDER!! To quote a good ol country song T-R-O-U-B-L-E (Thank you Travis Tritt)

Maybe next payday, but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for all the responses.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

The key to it all........Work 2 jobs, buy all your toys first, THEN drop 1 job, hook up and get married, then you have it ALL! :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

geoo

Don't apologize. I know exactly where you are coming from. My ex gets more of my paycheck than me! :cry:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Buy, BUy, BUY! I got my eye on lots of stuff. It's time to cut back on some other stuff and get a second job to pay for my bad G.A.S., but I got plenty of energy.

An acoustic specific amp will really help make your Acoustic or Acoustic/Electric guitar sound better. It makes my Hollow body Ibanez sound pretty nice ( I also run the Ibanez thru a small bass amp at the same time thru an A/B pedal, My Boss ME-50 pedal, or my Tube Pre-amp).

Have Fun! The best way to do that is thru more gear.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

If you keep playing the guitar, one day, sooner or later, you'll be playing with others.

Get the amp!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

What does G.A.S. stand for?

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3