Clear all

3rd string- wound vs. unwound?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Whenever I wanted to doodle away with myself on the guitar, I felt I was restricted to the top two (unwound) strings, because whenever I tried to incorporate the wound third (G) string, the difference in tone sounded very. . . strange.
So I finally put on some new strings, and decided to put on an unwound third string. It feels more comfortable, so now I play power chords on the bass strings, and solo on the upper three strings without getting a huge difference in tone quality. It's new, but I figure I'll get used to it, and I like it so far.
That's my reasoning, now let's hear yours. 8)

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like light strings....D'Addario 9's..even when I tried 10's, didn't like the feel of an wound 3rd...I realise I could actually get a plain 3rd of simila gauge, but I think a plain 3rd just balances the sound out nicely....3 treble strings, 3 bass....

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I like the balance and brightness of 3 and 3 (10's) on my electrics but prefer the wound G (11's) on my acoustic to tone it down a little.

So I guess I am voting for both depending on the application.

I have trouble with polls. Whats better Strat or LP, I like em both. Whats better tube or other, I like em both. Whats better wound or unwound G, I like em both. See the trap I am in here :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i prefer the wound G on my semi hollow body but i like my 9s and 10s on my strat and tele with the unwound G.
on my semi hollow i recently switched to fender flat wounds so i could play some smooth steely dan licks :lol:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

MUST.... RESIST.... POOR.... G-STRING.... JOKE....

ok now that i didnt make a bad joke, for electrics i like unwound, for acoustics wound.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote