Clear all

kinda of stuck i guess

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all, ive been playing almost a year and half and feel like im stuck in a rut. I work on different solos here and there, but its real hard to get them perfect without a one on one teacher, just wondering what i should work on and/or what i should be focused on practing. BTW, Im into classic rock stuff such as floyd, the stones, journey and new bands such as radiohead or the shins

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Are you still enjoying it?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I have found that I lose my enthusiasm for guitar when I bounce around with different songs too much and move on to another when I hit an obstacle I don't have the skills to do or cannot work around with a substitution for it. Knowing some riffs does not do anything for me either.

Maybe try deciding on playing something you feel you could learn and stick to it until you can play it from start to finish blindfolded. There are plenty of lessons here and so much available help to get you through obstacles you encounter along the way.

I can now do this (start to finish) with only a single song and it has done more for me from a motivational standpoint than a year of practice drills and bouncing around.

There is a long period we must endure to develop basic skills. The hardest part is staying motivated enough to get through it, then things really start to fall into place for us. It begins with a single song, I promise you.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You should be focusing on what you hear in your head and finding the notes on the fret board one by one. How the hell do I do that? YES you absolutely have a valid question but, it will take time and time is on your side.

Concentrate and take your time note by note. You HAVE to get the feel of it!

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

good tips from all, thank you

ReplyQuote