Skip to content
Galloping Rhythm......

Notifications
Clear all

Galloping Rhythm...Tendency to Speed Up?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have been working on various rhythms and the galloping rhythm is one of my favorites (listen to Iron Maiden's The Trooper for an example). The pattern is D (8th note) DUD DUD (16th notes). Even when using a metranome I still tend to gradually speed up the tempo. I know it's probably the adrenaline rush from playing this kind of rhythm...it sort of make you want to "bang your head" so to speak! :lol: I slow the metranome down but I still go ahead of the beat.

Any suggestions (other than to keep plugging away at it until I get it)?

Thanks

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

Well, just keep practicing with a metronome or drum machine. It is pretty normal for player's to speed up.

Just remember, fast is not heavy, slow is heavy. Take any heavy recording and speed it up. Does it sound heavier? Never. But slow it down. Now it is HEAVY.

I say this because this is a touchy point with me. One of the greatest difficulties I have had in my current band is that the other guys in my band like to race. And it completely ruins the heaviness of many songs. I have had some fairly heated arguments with the other guys on this. Lately, we have learned to relax and slow down. MUCH BETTER. And even my bandmates have admitted this.

So, all I can say is try to play as slow as possible, you will like the results.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Wes. I d try to keep it slow..however with this particular song/rhythm the BPM is 154 so it is kind of fast. Most of te 80's metal rhythms were at least 100 bpm. Plus playing the 16th notes with this tempo creates the "speed". My problem is that I start to go FASTER than the 154 which then causes me to mess up the rhythm itself (ie. start missing beats). I start to get excited that I am nailing the rhythm and when the adreneline starts pumping I speed up.

Like I mentioned in another post....I am picking things up a bit faster these days and I get excited that I can play something.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

Well, you are diagnosing your own disease Doc!

Try to relax and not get so excited. :D

I guess my little rant has to do with many player's believeing that speed=heavy, which it does not. The exact opposite is true.

And while it is very difficult to play super fast, it is even more difficult to play super slow. Set your metronome to 40 and try to play along.

Pretty difficult isn't it?? Even more difficult than playing fast. And speed is something many players use to cover up lack of ability, just as many players use distortion to cover lack of ability. Turn the distortion off. How does it sound now?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

This is a common malady it happens to the best musicians. Wes is correct, learning to relax and practice are the cures. I have a CD “Will the Circle be Unbroken” that has some of the best musicians that have ever played on it imo. There's a section of studio conversation on it where they discuss how they lost they're timing on the last take, the problem was they speeded up. Happen to the best.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here are 2 samples of how I play the galloping rhythm. The first one is a bit slower and more consistant. The second one is closer to the speed that the song is (154bpm). However in the second one I have 2 problems: First I have a hard time starting at the correct tempo...I have to start slower then speed up...a bad habit I know. The second problem I speed up again later in the recording.

Slower Gallop

Faster Gallop

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have been working on various rhythms and the galloping rhythm is one of my favorites (listen to Iron Maiden's The Trooper for an example). The pattern is D (8th note) DUD DUD (16th notes). Even when using a metranome I still tend to gradually speed up the tempo. I know it's probably the adrenaline rush from playing this kind of rhythm...it sort of make you want to "bang your head" so to speak! :lol: I slow the metranome down but I still go ahead of the beat.

Any suggestions (other than to keep plugging away at it until I get it)?

Thanks

Yep - been there, messed that up any number of times. Keep plugging away at it and you'll get there eventually.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

This is a common malady it happens to the best musicians. Wes is correct, learning to relax and practice are the cures. I have a CD “Will the Circle be Unbroken” that has some of the best musicians that have ever played on it imo. There's a section of studio conversation on it where they discuss how they lost they're timing on the last take, the problem was they speeded up. Happen to the best.

Yep, a musician's excitement = faster tempo.

Mike is finding that excitement from the rhythm pattern. Other musicians find it from a phrase, a technique, or even the volume used (I find it common for beginners learning crescendo/decrescendo to vary the speed right along with the volume)

That instinct never goes away. Just be aware of it, focus on the beat, and be a better musician for it - channel that excitement into the notes!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I find it common for beginners learning crescendo/decrescendo to vary the speed right along with the volume

That instinct never goes away. Just be aware of it, focus on the beat, and be a better musician for it - channel that excitement into the notes!

Not just beginners - LOL. How many times have I seen a score with the commentt "Crescendo ma non accelerando"

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote