Clear all

Getting a Well Gigged Look?

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, so I was talking to a friend the other day, and he was asking me if my guitar has a nitro finish.
He says that the new guitars now do not have that finish, and that is what is required to get that nice gigged look.
He says that he has friends trying very hard to get that look, but they can't, because they don't have that finish!

Does anyone know anything about this? I have a '62 reissue telecaster...will it have that finish? (not that I want to get that all scratched up). but I'm just wondering about other guitars I have..modern ones (squier).
Can they get a nice gigged up look?
And how do I get that look?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nitro will yellow with age. Gigging has nothing to do with it, unless you're also talking about dings, gashes, etc. :)

The Fender American '62 Tele reissue does indeed have a nitro finish, according to the Fender website.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

actually, it's a Japanese one, and it has a Polyurethane finish.
buuut I'm not wondering about that one.
I'm just thinking about something like the Andy Summers Tele.
How do you get that look? :P

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Nitro is only on higher price guitars, these days - the finishing process is quite costly.

The reason that "well-gigged" guitars get that look is because of the fact that nitro is pretty sensitive to sweat and such like - it wears relatively easily.

Most people want a guitar that doesn't do that - hence polyeurathane, which is far more stable and resistant.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The way to get that well gigged look is to play your guitar a lot.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Like this?

I built this one, lacquered it with nitro, and then decided to distress it. It's one of my favorites for gigging these days. I certainly never worry about it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah, something like that.
I want that look for my squier strat, to give it some character.
Will it ever get that look, or should I just give up trying?
Obviously, by using it a lot, there will be signs of wear and tear..but that look specifically, such as the one on the Andy Summers Tele.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Do what Eddie Van Halen did with his famous "Frankenstein" guitar. Pull out pickups and route with a chisel, saw the pickguard in half, paint it with spray paint and tape, nail a quarter to it......

And play guitar 12 hours a day every day too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Wes Inman said: Do what Eddie Van Halen did with his famous "Frankenstein" guitar. Pull out pickups and route with a chisel, saw the pickguard in half, paint it with spray paint and tape, nail a quarter to it......

'Course if that sounds like too much work you could just spring $25,000 for one someone else already did that to:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/EVH-Eddie-Van-Halen-Frankenstein-Replica-Electric-Guitar?full_sku=104226733

$25,000?????????????????? Are they off their rockers?? :shock: :shock:

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

This seems to be common for these kids of things .. here's another famous weathered guitar: Eric Claptons Blackie Re-Creation

Could have been yours for a measly $20K.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't want to spend upwards of $20k!
all I want to do is get a nice weathered look for my own crappy squier! :P

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I don't want to spend upwards of $20k!
all I want to do is get a nice weathered look for my own crappy squier! :P

I'm sure if you do some googling around you can find out how to make stuff look old. There's a trend for old look furniture too and before that trend there were those who made fake "antiques". Try searching for "distressing" and maybe add "diy" and/or "furniture". You'll find lots of info that will help with the wood parts.

Personally, I'll just play the thing and let it get worn that way though I do try to avoid banging it.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Do what Eddie Van Halen did with his famous "Frankenstein" guitar. Pull out pickups and route with a chisel, saw the pickguard in half, paint it with spray paint and tape, nail a quarter to it......

And play guitar 12 hours a day every day too. :D
Eddie is an awsome guitarist but I don't think too much of him as a luthier! :P

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The Fender H1 series has a finish that's a lot more 'scratchable' then their US-std counterparts.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And here I thought this thread was all about how the guitarist would get a well-gigged look, not the guitar!

Exhibit A:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2