Notifications
Clear all

Getting comfortable?

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@hectores-house)
Topic starter  

Hi all - a really basic question: what do you find is the best kind of seat/chair for sitting on when you play guitar? It's something I need to look at cos my back is starting to ache (currently using a cheapo plastic stool - good height but no back support...)
thanks
H

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I stand. Would standing work for you or would that bother your back more?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I suffer with a back problem; I can play standing up, but not for any great length of time....about 1/2 an hour, tops. I've found the best chair for me is a small swivel-stool with a low adjustable back-rest.

Something like this....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I tend to stand, sit on my amp or even slouch on the couch or my bed. Then again, i am a lazy student :oops:

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Leaning back, feet up on desk. Sometimes in a recliner with feet up and leaning back a bit. I do stand once in a while.

If I'm playing with someone, I either do it standing or sitting upright on a padded piano bench or regular straight back chair. A lot of it is what I'm doing. Am I 'playing guitar', or am I 'playing a little guitar while sitting back and resting my head and neck' ?

If I am sitting back, but need to get serious because, gosh darn-it, I'm not doing the song properly and it's making me angry, I'll sit straight up and into a better guitar position.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

I've had two back surgeries for ruptured disks so I know what you're talking about. You will just need to find a solution that works for you since everyone's back seems to be different. Some people like to use drummer stools with a back rest. I've found that just resting my right feet on a small foot rest seems to change the angle of my back enough to make it much more comfortable. Good luck with your search for a solution!

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@jackhookss)

The person sufferring from a back problem need to take care of his back while sitting such a person can use a easy chair or sitt on a chair and keep his legs somewhere upstairs and completely relaxing the back while sitting. It is to be a best way of getting comfort.

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

I have a bar stool I got at at a thrift store. I don't really sit,kind of a half stand with one leg on the resting bar.When I'm home it's the recliner.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

It varies. Armless kitchen chair, bar stool, standing, edge of the couch (or the arm).

I guess it depends on what room I'm in and what's available. And my mood

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

key points.....

chair or stool or whatever (amp seems popular) with no obstruction such as arms (or people).

certainly go for a standing position

ABOVE ALL ELSE LEARN TO RELAX!!!!!!!

Tension is the killer...always was for me....muscle tension anywhere in your body has an effect somewhere else...like your back for example...

so sit/stand proud and just RELAX

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i play lying down a lot. it's really comfortable once you don't have to look at your hands any more.

ReplyQuote