Skip to content
Getting my first el...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting my first electric (Ibanez 460 RG)

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@alasken)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I'll be buying an Ibanez 460 RG from a friend of mine this christmas, and I was wondering if you got any tips about electric guitars? I only started playing guitar this summer, on my mom's old acoustic, but I've been practicing everyday, and quite a lot each time as well, so I'm doing ok. At the moment I'm on a guitar frenzy, I just can't stop playing.

One of my friends who I live with is superb on the guitar, and can teach me just about anything, but I'm really unsure as to what I'll be playing when I get an electric, and what the best way is to learn stuff on it? I guess I'll be practicing lots and lots on solos....got any tips for some cool ones that aren't too hard? Also, I never use a pick, so I guess I'll have to start doing that as well now, which I'm pretty happy about. I'm so ready to learn anything at all guitar-related. Anyway, if you know anything that can make it easier for me to learn how to play on it, let me know :)

PS. I'd love to hear comments from anyone who has played on a 460 RG as well.....I can't find anything at all about it on the net....not even at harmony-central.....

(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Im sure all you rythem guitarist will disagree, but I strongly beleive that learning to play solos improves you a lot and quick (thats been my experience and two other players I know) so its good u wanna learn em.

The first solo I learnt was Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
Also try Californication (Chilli Peppers)

Best way to learn anything is take it bit by bit and slow. then put it together and then up the pace. This'll ensure no inaccuracies or bad technique. Oh and with picking, learn to alternate pick.

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yup, hopefully my overall guitar playing will benefit from me getting an electric....

Also, I've changed my mind, I'm not getting the Ibanez.....Instead I'll get the Epiphone Les Paul 100....cheaper, and I don't like what I've been reading about Ibanez, and what I've been hearing from other people.....the amp I'll be getting is a Marshall 15w......I have two options....with or without reverb, the latter costing $50 or so more.....opinions?

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

After playing on accoustic you'll be amazed, or at least pleased at how easily electrics play.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

After playing on accoustic you'll be amazed, or at least pleased at how easily electrics play.

Really? I'm a bit "worried" I'll make a fool out of myself when I go to the store and try out the guitars...I have no idea what to play on an electric :)

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Really? I'm a bit "worried" I'll make a fool out of myself when I go to the store and try out the guitars...I have no idea what to play on an electric :)

Well, it's easier in the sense that accoustics have heavier strings. When you transfer over to electric the stings are lighter. Stuff that was hard, like bends or simply fretting are easier cause you've allready built your strength up on accoustic. I've even heard of guitarists who transition over to electric and throw their notes sharp because they're used to fretting so hard on accoustic.

And if you don't know what to play, there's an article on GN that's got some guitar store riffs that every guitarist should probably know. ( ) Whatever you do, DON'T play Smoke On The Water, Come As You Are, or Stairway To Heaven in a guitar shop. You'll drive the guys that work there nuts.

Good luck.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@jpsuperstar)
Eminent Member

i bet that dog can shred

ReplyQuote