Clear all

getting New Guitar, Now The Choices :)

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Alright. Well, at first I thought what I'm looking for was a cheap solid top acoustic guitar to last me a couple of years until I get a better one. Upon examing my situation a bit more closely, I'm in the market for a I've, ten year guitar (although my definition of said term probably includes one less 0 at the end of the price than your definition might.) Anyways, I had in my possession for a few days a Grestch, which is a very nice guitar, in terms of sound, I think if you never take guitar further than a hobby you could be happy with it for the rest of your life. Then again, there are always the Seagulls which people say are the best thing in the price range. At first, I was a bit reserved about getting a S6 or M6, because their price tags say "beginner guitar" despite what my ear or reviews say. But my teacher and others say that the Seagulls, even the cheapest model, is a lasting guitar with a tone you're not going to beat much for a few dollars.

So anyways. I now have an almost daunting task of choosing from a shortlist due to the fact that they're all at different stores. There is the S6/M6 (haven't decided which is better yet), there is a Washburn in the 500 CND range which I should check out, there is the 500 CND Grestch (not my favourite overall, but great tone and sustain,) there are Samicks I haven't checked out yet, then there is the 400 USD Garrison model form their new valine, which got very ncie reviews.

Even choice amoung the Seagulls is pretty difficult. I don't need the CW or hi-gloss or any electronics. But the mohagany is a consideration. I can't choose which is better, although in general the mohagany is supposed to have a more commanding tone. So that alone is a choice. Although from the M6 you go $300 CND more and get an artist Mosiac. That thing adds a solid top. it uses supposidly their best wood for all the aprts in general. It's hand polished with a lighter polish. It comes with a case. All for $300 more. That's a guitar that probably would last most hobbyists a lifetime. Then again i am sure I couldn't get that even if I saved for a long time.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You have a dilema. There are many quality guitars out there. Seagull is a good choice. Washburn has some really good models and some really bad ones. Fender makes a couple of winners, DG-22s and DG-25s. Alvarez has a couple of nice intermediate models too.

You are in a position now where you have to pick based on your own preference. What appeals to you? I play everything from a Collings to an old Washburn. The Collings cost 40 times as much, but I love the Washburn's tone and playability.

So really you have to play them and make a choice you can live with. You may describe Mahogany as warm, some might describe the same guitar as muddy. I might describe maple as bright and others might say tinny. It's all about what is pleasing to you.

If you can find one that sounds good, you can't go wrong with the Seagull brand by the way.

I used to have a lot of requirements in purchasing a guitar, but now I'm down to two.

1. It has a solid top
2. It sounds and feels good to you.

Just to help in the purchase of your guitar, remember the following:

50% of tone is in:

1. top material, it's selection, bracing type
2. skill of the luthier
3. saddle and nut material (nut especially if you are playing a lot of open tunings)
4. your personal string choice

48% of tone is in:

1. the magic in your fingers, aka practice
2. pic, fingernails, fake nails, finger pads - your choice

So that is 98% of tone.

1.999% I'll give to the backwood type.

...and IMHO the rest of tone is in:

string pins
fretboard type
laminate vs solid wood back and sides

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'd reccomend, if your getting into the Artist Series, a Laviree. They're also made in Canada, and they are no nonsense guitars. The lower end models have a wood(or painted I dunno) and tiny perl fretboard inlays, but the tone and playability is incredible. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

And BTW the Seagull M6 is awesome . I've got one and my only complaint is that the neck has become sticky over time. ANybody have a suggestion for this?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

try lighter fluid.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Are you serious? I don't want to burn my guitar! :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

yep, lighter fluid will remove any sticky gunk on your guitar. Try it in an out of the way spot just to test it.

I use it whenever I get an old guitar to work on.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Isn't Seagull's materials partly subsidized by the Canadian gov't making that the reason why they're so cheap? I think I remember reading something about it on the forums.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^Yep, that's true.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You are going to have to provide me a link to that information. I don't see anything other than the same rumor repeated over and over with a google search.

Lasido's site has nothing on it.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

hey.....i heard u talkin about washburns...i have a d-10sce...solid top, electronics, cutway. and i have also played an m6 and s6 beside the d-10sce... and to me the dhe d-10sce killed them in tone....but thats only my oppinion. But all in all i would consider a larrivee....or even taylor...lol

Mikey

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Like I said, my version of "five-ten year guitar" might be a little less in the price category than yours. I can't accord a Larivee. I can't afford a decent Taylor (and supposidly the cheaper ones are not as good as even slightly cheaper guitars of certain bangforyourbuck persuations.) Walden is out of the picture. gGestch is probably not for me either. So now I'm thinking I should check out the garrisons (they got good reviews) and I'll take a look at the 500 cnd esque washburns too, or if not, M6 and probably spend a bit getting it set up and maybe switching the machine-heads to grovers or such. That might be cool too. Yeah.

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know about the WD series from Washburn? They have so many features, you;d expect a $1.5k pricetag, but they go for around $500 CND. $500 USD gets you one with a hardcase.

I mean, gold Grover tuners (not Grover style), solid top, solid back, solid sides, ebony fingerboard, ebony bridge, and buzz feighten tuning system. There must be SOMETHING as a downside.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

They are made overseas. I think thats about it. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rocker4life)
Eminent Member

Lighter fluid???????????????????????????? :shock:

cant you just use some rubbing alcohol
im pretty sure that would get rid of it

"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly
static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2